News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Long term storage.

Started by Easy Tiger, September 08, 2008, 03:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy Tiger

Hi folks, so I have to go away for 3 - 7 years. What do I need to do to prep my bike for that long a period? As I'll be gagging to ride it when I get back I want to be able to roll it out and take off the moment I can.

I look forward to your technical advice.

Cheers.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

fano

Stretch

GatorTiger has his Girly in storage.  Give him a PM to ask how he prepped his bike for the long wait...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/profile.ph ... file&u=277

Easy Tiger

I think selling it is out of the question.

Thanks Stretch I'll PM that dude a bit later.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

The Kurgan

O.K. here goes...

1. Thoroughly wash, wax and lubricate your Tiger (see owner's manual for key lubrication areas)

2. Fog all three cylinders with a proper fogging oil, OR, remove the plugs and put about a teaspoon of regular motor oil into the plug sockets and then tighten plugs back on. Both ways work fine. Tried and tested.

3. Completely drain the fuel tank. Plastic tanks rule! No worries about rust forming on the inside.

4. Remove battery and store in a dry, warmish place and ensure somebody keeps it charged at regular intervals. I normally charge my battery every 1-2 months for 5 hours at 1 AMP. This may not be possible over a 3 to 7 year period! So, your battery may be the sacrificial lamb.  :wink:

5. Ensure the tires are party deflated.

6. Ensure the bike is hoisted on an quality ATV-type stand
--this will ensure the suspension is UNLOADED (uncompressed)
--this will also ensure that the tires are off the ground to avoid flat spots
--** in order to do this, you should invest in a heavy duty skid plate bolted to a set of decent crash bars.

7. Drain old oil and discard old filter.

8. Add a new oil filter and fill engine with fresh oil **to the absolute top of the crankcase**
--the oil does NOT have to be motorcycle specific, and in fact, any cheap motor oil will do. It will get drained when you put your Tiger back in service.

9. Coat all unpainted soft steel parts with WD-40 or something similar!
--if you are not sure, just go wild on any steel part!

10. If the Tiger storage is not climate controlled and you live in a northern climate,  I would store the seats and even the plastics in a warm, dry basement. Mind you, they will probably be fine on the Tiger, covered.

11. Put an old sock in both the exhaust pipe and airbox intake to keep critters out. Trust me... they WILL find their way in. Not a pretty sight after 3-7 years!  :lol:

12. Cover the Tiger under a proper, vented motorcycle cover or a large cotton sheet... **something that doesn't trap moisture, but keeps the dust and filth off.

13. If you are in a crime ridden area... ensure your Tiger is stored in safe place under LOCK and KEY  :lol:
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Mustang

Quote from: "Easy Tiger"Hi folks, so I have to go away for 3 - 7 years.
Cheers.

:shock:  

Easy Tiger

Thanks Kurgan, I will follow your pointers. It was kind of what I was thinking but at a far less technical level.

And Mustang, no I'm not being put away, I have a job in Europe where the contract is 3 years with a possibility of an extension to 7 years. As I'll be in a tax free haven I'm gonna buy something to run around on over there.

Cheers all.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

John Stenhouse

So Lichtenstein or Monaco, both excellent places to ride. Stelvio pass not far from one and the Col De Turini not far from the other! Enjoy!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Easy Tiger

I'll be in The Hague, The Netherlands and travelling basically all over the world.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

John Stenhouse

OOOPPPS! oh well nice thought!
Mosel Valley in Germany and the Alps then
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

GatorTiger

Quote from: "Stretch"GatorTiger has his Girly in storage.  Give him a PM to ask how he prepped his bike for the long wait...

My wait was not going to be that extensive. 6 Months before it was going to be ridden again... Now it looks as if it is going to be more like a year...   :cry:
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Easy Tiger

Hey Kurgan, any thoughts on the fuel system. Should I fill and add a stabilizer? Also whats "fogging oil"?

Cheers.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

The Kurgan

Quote from: "Easy Tiger"Hey Kurgan, any thoughts on the fuel system. Should I fill and add a stabilizer? Also whats "fogging oil"?

Cheers.

The idea is to add fogging oil into your fuel injection system (or carbs) to coat the tops of the pistons and cylinder walls to prevent rust formation. This oil is thin and designed for that purpose.

Stabilizer will be of no help over a long period of time. You need to empty the tank and run the bike until the remaining fuel in the fuel injection system is burned off. Old gas can make a real mess of your fuel injection system.

In your case, I would simply empty the fuel tank and then run your Tiger until the remaining fuel is burned away. Then I would remove the plugs and add a teaspoon of motor oil to each plug socket opening. I would then put the plugs back in (torqued correctly) and crank the engine over a few times (if there's any remaining gas at that point if may still start) ... this will help distribute the oil to coat the piston tops and cylinder walls.

BTW, if it still starts after adding oil to the plug sockets, you will get alot of smoke. No worries.

I've done this a few times, and NEVER had a problem starting any of my bikes. The worst case scenario is that you need to clean your plugs when you put your Tiger back into service.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Easy Tiger

Thanks, it's always a bonus to meet someone so wise in the ways.

Your comments will be followed to the leter once it gets to cold to ride and I have to tuck the little lady away for here extended rest.

Cheers.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

REGULATOR

drop it off at my place, i'll ride it once  week