News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Happy Endings

Started by Mustang, September 09, 2008, 02:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

This Steamer came to my garage with a frown on it's face and wasn't a very happy steamer .

It came to me on a trailer , the drive chain looked like this

You'll notice that it is all out of adjustment ..........should have been replaced somewhere around kansas by the looks of it ! :BangHead

The bike was puking oil onto the hot header pipe , like a James Bond smoke screen .

Pull the cover and looky here bent the clutch pushrod and chewed the cover up  and blew out the seal on the pushrod .

OK no problem throw a few new parts at her and do a chain and sproket job , easy $400 and back on the road , or so I thought ....................
dump in four qts of mobil 1 and a new filter hit the starter button and it's only on 1 maybe 2 cyl. and knocking pretty hard .
Pretty quick (like 5 seconds quick) it makes the loudest bang I've ever heard and siezes up tight .
Pull the fairings and tank out come the plugs , with the nut on the rhs crankshaft I can roll the motor forward and back but cant make a complete revolution either direction .
Screw driver down the #1 hole piston moves up and down with the crank , #2 the same  , #3 however doesn't have anything attached to the crank  :shock:  :shock:
Pull the head and this is what came out of #3

I am fairly certain that the chain being so loose for hundreds of miles made the rod cap nuts vibrate loose and chewed the bearings and crank until the nuts came completely off and let the piston come up into the cylinder until the rod shoulder hit the bottom of the cylinder .

This motor is toast and will be expensive to fix ....................never did find the rod cap it went thru the gearbox  I think !

EBAY to the rescue , Andy scored a 95 Sprint motor from a wrecker in Oregon that shipped it to us for $800 bucks total

The install was pretty simple

in fact it was painless 1 day to swap out everything , The sprint motor looks pretty good in grey with the red tiger , but we swapped the covers so they matched the alt and starter motor and water pump etc etc . The only abbie normal thing is I had to make an extension for the shifter shaft so I could clear the foot peg bracket and flip the selector arm over 180 degrees (sprint motors have a reversed shift drum ) which made the pattern be normal instead of 1 up and five down .

She fired up and ran good for the 5 mile test ride .
OOPs it came back a week later  dead again guess what ? the ebay motor had a bad ignition sensor (anybody see a pattern here ) Swapped out the sensors with a good used one and life is good

The sprint motor runs absolute ly fine with the tiger ecu and carbs  , in fact with the sprint cams this thing is OMG scary fast from 75-110 mph . I think Red is prolly the fastest color now damhik !  :ImaPoser
You can hardly tell that it has a grey motor under all the covers , I could have painted it but I'm lazy and it looks good !

JetdocX

Wow, man!  Good job.  You have a real job, too?   :shock:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Hm... Sprint cams in a Tiger.  A worthwhile hot-rod project?

Dr. Mordo

Very nice work.

I would think that the head is ported for the larger cams, so it might not work right to just drop the cams in a Tiger motor.  However, I could be wrong - it's probly worth a try if you could get the cams for cheap.

That said, I have a feeling you'd be better off getting a whole motor like Mustang did.  Probly won't cost that much more and will be much less work.  I also suspect that there will be hidden costs with the cam swap, like shims, gaskets, etc.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Wow, man!  Good job.  You have a real job, too?   :shock:

Nope, broken knees

Mudhen

OH YA BABY!!!  When we doin' mine?!?!??

I think I NEED scary fast from 75-110.  Spruce things up a bit, anyway.

So you guys never discovered what actually caused the motor to blow?  Lack of oil blown out the sprocket cover?
\'96 Steamer