News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HELP !!! Stator install question

Started by superhauck, September 10, 2008, 12:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superhauck

Do you have to remove the tank to get to the wiring disconnect for the stator?  I'm trying to not remove the tank (as I've never done that before) to minimize the amount of stuff I can farkup yet still save $500 by installing the stator myself.

2aRover

You don't.  There is a wire tie on the frame below the plastic side cover.  Snip that to release the wiring bundle.  You might want to remove the side cover for better visibility and to get your fingers in better.
I drank what...?

superhauck

OH Thank GOD...for some reason the mere thought of removing that tank (and the subsequent nagging that it smells of petrol) is not what I needed on this fine evening.

superhauck

The stator connector clicks into another cable which appears to run underneath the air box...although my version of this wire appears to be frayed...and now I'm concerned this may have caused the dealer to diagnose the stator as failed.

Question is, this wire is pretty firmly entrenched under the air box...is there an easy way to get it out for inspection?  Does this piece regularly fray or go bad?  Can all this be purchased on the market or is it a dealer only deal?  

All you help is incredibly appreciated...especially considering my Tiger is currently in pieces in my garage at the moment! :oops:  :oops:

I know I'll never learn this stuff unless I risk the effort...but man is it scary!

Bixxer Bob

Removing the tank does sound scary, but really - it's not!  A good tip is to have it as empty as possible first either by running it down, or siphoning.  After that you just need to be careful and methodical.  It's best to have a book to follow, like Haynes maual or similar but even without, you can do it.  Just make sure you disconnect everything as you go.  From memory, you need to unbolt the black plastic cowls that hold the indicators and put them out of the way.  Then out with the battery, then the three retaining bolts for the battery box (don't forget to unclip the fuse holder on the outside of the battery box as you ease it out).  Next comes the rear tank bolt under the battery box,  and the front retaining bolt behind the top yolk.  Ease up the rear of the tank a bit and on the left side, disconnect the two drain tubes and the main fuel pipe (squeeze the white plastic bits and pull down).  Also, unplug the electrical connector.  Finally,  reach under the right rear side and disconnect the wire on that side and you're ready to lift up and back.  Careful with your paint job as you go.  If I've missed anything,  someone will jump in here pretty quick and let you know.  :lol:

Just remember, you shouldn't need to force anything.  If it's not coming off easy, you missed something.

Once off, you can remove the airbox in a couple of minutes and work on the problem properly.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

superhauck

So to get at the wiring loom that the stator wires plug into will in fact require me to remove the air box?  Is that wiring assembly, which appears frayed, an easily replacable item, could I simply tape her up or will I have to go through the dealer?  Thanks again for your help

2aRover

Your routing doesn't match mine, so I'm no help here.  Mine's an 05--my stator wiring went up through a piece of loom to the frame, then over the accessory power outlet toward the regulator.  My connector was under the rear of the fuel tank.

Fraying is suspicious.  Is the loom covering frayed, the wiring insulation, or the conductor itself?  These are reasonably hefty wires.
I drank what...?

superhauck

So I re-inspected the stator connector wiring and it looked pretty dodgy, so I offed the air box and the attached crispies are what I found.

This appears to be some home made shoddy work, but I'll leave that to the more knowledgable folks here to help.  It appears to me the wiring has frayed and also somewhat melted together...thoughts?

Stretch

Mice and squirrels sometimes chew on the wires on my boat trailer, making them look like that.  Had the bike been in storage for an extended period?

Once the critters chewed the insulation off the wires, the next time the bike was fired up, some of the wires may have shorted and melted.  Been blowing fuses a lot?

Just a thought.

superhauck

I bought this from a dealer who was reselling for someone else.  They told me the guy kept it in a carport, which is obvious from the dry rotted rubber and condition of some of the parts.

My concern is this wiring has been electrical taped all the way down past the battery box.  The bike was periodically cutting out on me and the dealer first said it was the AFI relay, which was replaced.  A few weeks later it did it again, and the dealer told me it was a blown stator.  I decided to buy the Electrosport stator instead of paying the $650 via the dealer.  Thus, I've popped the top on my bike and found this wiring issue.

Do most Tigers have a glob of wires taped together with electrical tape under the air box?  I'm hoping this is standard, so I just peel back the bad wiring and splice in some good stuff and a new connector and be riding again.

2aRover

I'm pretty sure my entire harness is taped.  There is only loom in areas where the harness is exposed.

If it's of any value, the insulation on my wires at this connector was discolored from heat, which is why the dealer hardwired it.  The fraying you experienced is something I've not seen before.  Like Stretch said, it's probably been gnawed by some critter.
I drank what...?

superhauck

My wiring is toasted and melted...looks a bit different than an animal chomping on it.

I'm doing the Sasquatch R/R wiring upgrade and wondering if you can do the same for the stator wiring :?:  :?: ...basically bypass the entire wiring construct that goes up the frame and just click the new stator wire/connector into the receiver at the other end of that lengthy loom, near the R/R connect???

superhauck

Well I got the stator on, took out the additional wiring (fingers crossed) which was, in fact, just an additional 18" of extra wire!

Now I'm trying to get the tank back on and I, uhm, have an extra hose coming from the right side (as you're sitting on it) of the bike.  There is a skinnier hose which crosses over the airbox and connects, but for the life of me, I can't find where the slightly larger hose connects?  

Yes, I'm an idiot...but I'm so close to blowin up my bike I can't wait!!!  Any help is appreciated...

iansoady

That looks like the overflow from the coolant expansion tank, which just drapes down near the swinging arm. But I can't see where the other end goes from the pic.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

superhauck

The larger hose comes from the triple tree in front, but has no connector on the end.