News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front Brakes

Started by HappyMan, September 23, 2008, 03:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

Have any of you modified the front brake?  I will need to do something with mine as it's now warped and out of warranty.  Can it be ground or is it a defective disc and should be replaced?  If replaced is there an aftermarket that anyone would recommend?  After that, has anyone put in a stainless braided line?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

Happy
your bike already has a braided stainless line on it . it's just covered with a plastic sleeve

EBC or Galfer for replacement discs / rotors
JC Whitney of all places has EBC rotors for steamers , didn't see anything for an 06 though .

HappyMan

Thanks Mustang.  I was wondering it it was braided as it was quite skinny.  Glad to hear it.  Thanks for the info on the discs.

TigerTrax

Happy...
You have just hit upon one of the great weaknesses of Triumph motorcycles. I have an '06 Tiger and finding brake rotors is a bitch!

There is a reputation of warped rotors on the  955i Tigers. I know more Triumph riders with warped rotor issues than all riders I know riding other
brands.... Triumph cuts corners on quality when it comes to brakes and suspension.

So HOW MUCH to remedy?
OEM: $300+ ( Front Wheel ) But why would you want to get the same junk?  
Aftermarket:
Tucker-Rocky (EBC I think ) ( My rotors were on back order 4 months.... I cancelled.

Stealth Products ( in UK ): $400+ Front rotors.

I know there are KAW calipers that fit the Triumph... I don't know about rotors.

People can tell me 'Oh a rotor can warp in a flash if it's hot and cold water hits it!' Try Bullshit for a word! A rotor can warp easily if it is of minimal quality to begin with..... No one has been able to show me that Triumph
has the quality brakes necessary for the motorcycle they put them on.

This is a stinky issue with me.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

HappyMan

Yes it is stinky...but I also purchased it knowing I was going to need to deal with it and that most likely it would be out of warranty so I was prepared.  I want to upgrade the suspension at the same time.  It's a fantastic bike with weakeneses and I don't mind upgrading with aftermarket items if at the core it's still a fantastic ride that I've just improved.  Thanks for the info!

John Stenhouse

These look OK, haven't tried them but they are cheaper than $400
http://www.tm-accessories.de/shop/index ... 6861c9db61
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

John Stenhouse

These are EBC who have a good name, again have no personal experience just throwing in some suggestions

http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co. ... =2a&page=2

FullMonte

Quote from: "TigerTrax"A rotor can warp easily if it is of minimal quality to begin with..... No one has been able to show me that Triumph
has the quality brakes necessary for the motorcycle they put them on.

This is a stinky issue with me.

Agreed.  My second set of rotors (first pair replaced under warranty) warped during a fast blat through Deals Gap with a Tuono. :roll:  Pisses me off just thinking about it.

Chris Canning

I'd try EBC and i've experience of Braking and Galfer and they don't wear well,ideally you want a floating disc on the front gets ride of the heat and stops the warping,i've had Beringers on mine for some year now and their great,but cheap they ain't.

pit0rz

Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

TigerTrax

Anyone know anything about Stealth Products in the UK ?
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

blacktiger

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Anyone know anything about Stealth Products in the UK ?

Yes. The disc are good and you can have them in any shape you want. i.e. wavey or razor or.......HOWEVER.......they messed around with my order and it took quite a while for them to get it right. Initially they sent me three discs all the size of the rear disc, one solid and two floating. So I've got two spare floating rear discs because they didn't want the wrong ones back.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

curt

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"These are EBC who have a good name, again have no personal experience just throwing in some suggestions

I tried to get some in the past and had bit of trouble finding them in the states. If anyone knows....
The current exchange rate makes them about $455 plus freight from the UK.

:?
So many roads, so little time

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "curt"
Quote from: "John Stenhouse"These are EBC who have a good name, again have no personal experience just throwing in some suggestions

I tried to get some in the past and had bit of trouble finding them in the states. If anyone knows....
The current exchange rate makes them about $455 plus freight from the UK.

:?

GULP! geez, there must be a market for trading goods out there, some one wanting an Aerostitch suit and someone wanting brake discs. exchange of gifts to be worked out on line. Just a suggestion

HappyMan

I could buy some while in Europe couldn't I?  I still have to deal with the exchange rate but might I get a better deal?  However, I never purchase anything when out of the country for fear of the complications of bringing them back into the U.S.  Has anyone done this and if so was it as complicated as I think it would be?  How hard did they tax you?