News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch "bouncing"

Started by paulie, September 29, 2008, 05:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

OK, this is going to perhaps sound stupid, as I'm really not sure if I can explain this right. But this is "symptom" is new. The bike didn't do this before.

Some of you may be familiar with the very loud "clunk" noise that happens on the Girlies (and maybe other Tigers) when you drop the bike into first gear.

Well, for me, I can definitely "feel" that when it happens on the bike (especially in the pegs). Lately, that's been happening twice. Usually when I'm downshifting. It's like the bike drops into first, then bounces back up. At that point, the clutch lever is already released. So it's like it bounces back and since the clutch is closed(or is it open?), it goes up and clunks down into first again. Two separate "clunks". Almost like it's trying to pop out of gear but can't because I don't have the lever pulled.

I can never replicate it. It happens only occasionally. Whenever I TRY to do it and keep the lever pulled, it never does it. Frustrating.

Only things thats really changed with the engine is oil type. I've been using the Rotella T Diesel stuff.

Any ideas? Or should I not worry?

EDIT: I should have mentioned that it never does this from a stop, it's always when I'm moving, coming up to a stoplight real slow. I sometimes try to keep inching along while the light is red, so I don't have to put a foot down. I'm a throttle blipper when I downshift(to rev match), maybe that has something to do with it?
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Robbie

how slack is the chain?
the second clunk could be just the slack top run of chain ( as you are slowing down) the wheel is driving the motor hiting the top of the swinging arm.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

paulie

Thanks for the reply Robbie.

I do run the chain more loose than the manual calls for, it just seems way to tight for my taste if I do it to spec. I'll try tightening a little to see if that helps.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650