News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to Tigers with some ???'s

Started by kpmunt, September 30, 2008, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpmunt

Just bought an 01 Girly.  Very nice bike.  

What is the common practice for adding additional electrical capacity to the bike?  On my previous ride I added a fuse block in the tail section to power stuff.  If you guys do this what is the best mounting location?

How about a mounting location for a cigarette lighter?  I'm thinking right below the heated grip switch.

I've read a bit about sealing the spokes on the inside of the rim to use tubeless tires.  Are you essentially just cleaning the spokes on the inside of the rim and sealing with a type of household type silicone caulking?  Regular valve stems are used with tubeless tires?

I'll be back with more questions.  Thanks for your patience in advance.

REGULATOR

hmm since I also just picked up an 01 I'll be following along with much intrest

Stretch

I'm running a hard-wired GPS, heated gear, additional gauges, and an accessory outlet.  This is how I rigged my '05...

The two junction blocks in the center of the photo run straight to the battery (red) and battery ground (black).  

The black fuse box is energized only when the ignition is on.  I used a generic auto-parts store fog light light relay to energize the fuse box, which is triggered by a wire tapped in to the tail light wire.  When the ignition is switched on, the tail light comes on, triggering the relay to send juice from the battery to the fuse box.

The ignition switch isn't heavy enough to handle 20 amps worth of accessories running through it, so to get lots of switched power, you need to use a relay that is triggered by the ignition switch.  The relay is essentially a remote-controlled heavy duty switch.  When the trigger terminal (86) gets 12 volts, the relay actuates a solenoid (an electromagnet) and closes the circuit between the '12-volt in' terminal (30/51) and the '12-volt out' terminal (87), sending up to 20 amps (the rating of the relay) worth of 12-volt power from the battery, through the relay, to the fuse box.  When the ignition (tail light) is turned off, the trigger circuit dies, and the relay switch opens, cutting the circuit between 30 and 87.

You can see the relay under the aluminum bracket, secured with black zip-ties.  The big red wire from the battery (12-volt junction block) goes to terminal 30/51, and the other big red wire goes from terminal 87 to the fuse box.

You may not have room under your seat to put the fuse box there.  Since I run my seat more than an inch above the highest factory setting, I have more than enough room.  YMMV.

I installed a weatherproof 12-volt cigarette lighter-type power outlet in the dash near the heated grip switch, for Sirius radio / iPod power, charging cell phones, etc.

paulie

great setup stretch. you're the man!  8)  (though i have seen you post about it before)

thus far i've not made any electrical mods to my 2005, but i will be this winter. i'll hopefully be rigging up heated grips, fog lights, GPS(if i end up getting one) and a line to put power into a tank bag for charging gadgets.

one question, stretch. did you just ground to the frame? or is there a specific location you're supposed to ground to?
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Stretch

I grounded all the accessories to the negative (black) junction block, which is in turn grounded straight to the (-) battery terminal.  That's the big black wire coming from the wire loom at the bottom of the photo up to the (-) battery terminal.

diggerT

On the subject of electrics, where can I get a converter to fit an satnav device which uses a standard size car cigarette socket to the tiger's auxillary power socket which is smaller?

Cheers

DiggerT

M.T.

Am I right in thinking that the additional fuse box is really a way to have more locations to plug in to for power, rather than a way to actually get more power?  I am certainly no electrical wizard, but I'm thinking that the fuse box system doesn't give you any more juice to work with, right?  Or am I missing something?
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

Stretch

Quote from: "diggerT"On the subject of electrics, where can I get a converter to fit an satnav device which uses a standard size car cigarette socket to the tiger's auxillary power socket which is smaller?

Cheers

DiggerT

One of these?

Here...

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/pr ... ?Item=PLUG

Stretch

Quote from: "M.T."Am I right in thinking that the additional fuse box is really a way to have more locations to plug in to for power, rather than a way to actually get more power?  I am certainly no electrical wizard, but I'm thinking that the fuse box system doesn't give you any more juice to work with, right?  Or am I missing something?

The fuse box etc is just a distribution system... more ways to conveniently plug stuff in to your bike.

To gain additional capacity in your charging system, you could send your stator off for a custom rewind (with special instructions to increase output wattage / amperage) and do the Sasquatch Voltage Fix:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3843

diggerT

RE: One of these?

That's what I need, only trouble is when I went on the site they want $71 dollars to ship to the UK!!

Any idea of availability in england

(PS how do you paste a section of a previous reply?)

DiggerT

Stretch

Quote from: "diggerT"RE: One of these?

That's what I need, only trouble is when I went on the site they want $71 dollars to ship to the UK!!

Any idea of availability in england

Not a clue, sorry.  But since Powerlet connectors are all the rage on other Triumphs and BMW's, there surely is a source on your side of The Great Water.

Quote(PS how do you paste a section of a previous reply?)

Click the 'Quote' button (upper right corner) on the reply you want to copy.  That post then comes up in a new Reply window, inside Quote tags...   ( [ quote]   [/quote ] but without the spaces ).  Just delete the part(s) of the quoted message you don't want, then click 'Submit'.

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

diggerT

That's just the part  I'm after, many thanks