News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging system woes

Started by AndyM, November 03, 2008, 02:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrazekan

Rick's stators ROCK!  I just installed it and it looks like everything is good.  

More details later!

oxnsox

Have been following this thread with interest as have the gear to do similar tests but as yet have not had the time, or seen this problem on my bike.

With regard to the 175 watts v the 350 specified....
Based on what I've read in this (and Stretchs' other) thread the RR is a full bridge type so you aren't loosing 50% of the energy there, however it's fair to say that you will be loosing some power in the RR and other heating associated losses.  The 350w quoted output is probably based on the AC side... ie: the stator output, rather than the DC side, which is what we get to play with.

And any heat you are getting in the RR is power (watts) you can't get to the battery.

But as you say it's a simple system, and you are 50% short so it's either in the magnetic/mechanical side or the stator/electrical side.

Given that you have replaced the stator, the next place to look would have been the RR and the connections (particularly the earth lines). Since this is where you are measuring the loss.  And bizarre as it seems it is possible that you have a poor performing rotor.

Finally, I'd wondered why this issue seems to be such an issue when obviously it isn't affecting enough of us to warrant any obvious manufacturer attention.......  perhaps you hit on the answer.
In some markets the Girlies are supplied with only a single headlight relay, not both as you point out. (this would effectively mean there wasn't the same potential for this problem on any one eyed machines)

It would be nice to know if anyone riding a one eyed girl has had these issues. I haven't.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Kurgan

Quote from: "oxnsox"It would be nice to know if anyone riding a one eyed girl has had these issues. I haven't.

My "Canadian model" 2005 Tiger came stock with both headlights running. I also installed two 55w halogen driving lights. I have not had any issues with my charging system. I suspect this is not a widespread problem.

I am almost convinced that too much heat with kill a rectifier/regulator (which in turn can kill a stator?) and being in a rather cool climate may mean I am o.k. Perhaps the location of the RR is in the wrong spot -- especially for warm climate Tigers? I might consider relocating my RR just to be safe.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

oxnsox

I agree that if the RR can't get rid of the heat then you're on that slippery slope to a problem. And it's great to hear that even with your farkles you have no issues.

OK so mines a one eyed lady but I bought and rode her in Spain, which I'd call a hot country, but am now on the otherside of the world in much colder climes.

Of course the difference in ambient air temp between any two countries is small in comparison to the actual heat that the RR can get to, and providing that the outside air temp is colder than the RR then there will always be a heat transfer....  so really, with respect to keeping things cool, its more about airflow than location???
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Herold

Agreed on the airflow issue for the RR.  I just finished replacing my stator and RR for the second time in less than 6k miles.

I posted pics of where I relocated the RR to in the "other" thread about this subject. It's out in the breeze now!

Thoughts welcomed!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

oxnsox

Yeah two similar threads... but guess it keeps us checking back in.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mrazekan

Quote from: "oxnsox"Yeah two similar threads... but guess it keeps us checking back in.

This thread speaks specifically to the case where all tests on the charging system check out, but the battery still loses charge.  The other thread is more general but includes primarily stator and rectifier/regulator failures.  These failure generally are easy to find with a multimeter.  For the specific case of this thread, you need a special ammeter to really figure it out.

My two pesos.