News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Good price on a 2005?

Started by EvilBetty, November 04, 2008, 05:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I'm looking at a 2005 Tiger with 20,000 miles on it. He's asking $5,300.00.  Assuming everything checks out is this a good price for this bike?  

Single owner. Has after market crash guards and skid plate with highway pegs, tank bag, and tour pack.

Guy says he rode it to Moab Utah two years ago putting on over 600 miles a day.

When I go too look at it what things should I look for / ask about?

Thanks!

Pic:

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Stretch

That's a fair price.  He might go as low as 5... doesn't hurt to ask.

Ask if the chain and sprockets have been replaced yet.  If not, they're probably about due.  That'll cost a couple hundred if you do it yourself.  
Other than that, make sure it's had the full 12,000 mile service, and let 'er eat.

JetdocX

This isn't the one that had the catastrophic engine fail due to letting it run while heeled over on it's side is it????? :shock:

I'd ask to see all the maintenance records. :wink:
From parts unknown.

EvilBetty

I forgot to ask about the tires, but I go a response on the other things.

"I do my own servicing the fuel sending unit is not working at this time
I just set the trip gauge. I just put a new chain and both sprockets on
the bike. The bike has not been lowered and as far as the rest of the
bike I have had no problems with it."

Stretch

Maybe he'll reduce the price by the amount of a new fuel level sender, about $100 bucks from Bike Bandit, part #11...  

http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motor ... 5/o/m17645

EvilBetty

How hard is that to change out myself?

Stretch

Four screws and a plug, once you've pulled the tank...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,32393

haulin' daze

It's the best color going...offer him $6500!  :violent1

EvilBetty

We ended up agreeing at $4900, so I made the drive today...   3.5 hour drive.  

After we looked at the bike and chatted a bit, I wanted to test drive the bike of course, but the seller lived on a nasty gravel road and it had been raining off and on for about a day.  I bucked up, but I have never rode in the rain before and about shart myself when the back tire got all squirrely in the mud and had to put my foot down.  Once I got to the highway and got it up to speed I fell in love.  

Now even before I rode it the bike it was filthy.  I don't blame the guy since he rides it regularly and lives on that road, but it made hunting for blemishes and leaks through bugs and crusted / fresh pretty hard.  Any dos or don'ts for cleaning this bike?

So we took care of the not fun part (payment / forms) and then trailered the bike up for the drive.  Was half-way home when I heard the sound of a trailer tire that needed more than air.  And sure enough it was shredded.  No spare.  $227 service call.  This bike just got more expensive.

I've got it home and I'm trying to look it over with garage light and a flashlight but my eyes are tired.

Can't wait to get a license plate on this thing.

adrian jones

Sounds like you got a good deal.

Welcome to the club!

:D
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

EvilBetty

Title is supposedly in the mail.  I have the safety inspection and insurance aspects done.  I going nuts not being able to ride this thing.  I wish I knew what day it was coming in the mail and I'd take half a day off! :)

pit0rz

Suweeet!  Get her on the road and then all ya need is a cool shirt.  OR coffee mug.  Or sweatshirt.   :D   Oh, grab a mousepad too since you seem to be a fellow geek!  And WELCOME!  :thumbsup
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HockleyBoy

Nice one, looks like you got a good deal on the best coloured bike. Hope your documents turn up soon so you can get riding.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

EvilBetty

Thanks guys!

Other than changing the oil,  is there anything I should do to this bike right away?  Should I have the valve clearances checked?  Previous owner claims he never had this done.  Bike has 22000 miles on it.

Mustang

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Thanks guys!

Other than changing the oil,  is there anything I should do to this bike right away?  Should I have the valve clearances checked?  Previous owner claims he never had this done.  Bike has 22000 miles on it.

never checked in 22k .............it is time to at least know what they are , they may be good they may be knackered , it all depends how the previous owner rode it .

22 k of easy riding speed limit stuff they are prolly still ok

22 k of iron butt riding 6500 rpm + tire smokin wheelie poppin fun they might need an adjust