News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Tank Vacuum

Started by Tom Herold, December 05, 2008, 02:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

Being a new Tiger owner, I'm perplexed by the huge amount of vacuum generated in the fuel tank.  Every time I've gone to refill, it's an effort to pry the filler lid open. Once it does start to open, I can see the tank flex as air is sucked in.  For a fuel injected engine, this doesn't seem right to me.

My Sprint ST's running a plastic tank and a 955i engine, and I don't have this issue,

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Thoughts?
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

bahtiger

Sounds like your vent line is pinched.

John Stenhouse

Clear your vent line, also check the connections on the left rear of the tank, two steel nipples the vent lines connect to. On my Tig they get clogged up solid and need taking out and reaming through with a small file
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Clear your vent line, also check the connections on the left rear of the tank, two steel nipples the vent lines connect to. On my Tig they get clogged up solid and need taking out and reaming through with a small file
Yep the nipples screwed into the tank will corrode inside and sometimes you need to run a small drill thru the nipples to clean them out they get so corroded
on the steamers there is also a drain line to let water that gets under the cap drain off so it won't get into the tank , that one plugs up too and needs cleaning once in a while .
Don't know if the girlies are the same

Tom Herold

Vent lines! Got it, I'll tackle them after work tonight!  Sometimes the simplest things escape the mind...... Thanks for the assist.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

John Stenhouse

Girly is exactly the same Mustang, I know when mine need doing you open the tank and there's water sitting there.  :shock:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting