News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Looking at 04 955i, input please.

Started by Cleaverid, December 10, 2008, 04:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleaverid

I sold my KTM 640 and am looking at a 04 995 very seriously. I plan on riding it this week but am wondering about a couple of items. Is there no adjustability in the front forks at all?? Are spring upgrades recommended if this is the case?  How about the rear shock, any adjustability there?  The bike has 18k on it, what should I be looking at closely for problems? I have heard head bearings may be suspect.  I have been all over the map on what bike I want to get.  I have always loved the Triumphs but thought it would be out of my price range.  I was looking at v stroms very seriously but the Tiger seems to be a better bike all around.  Touring, some dirt and 2 up riding are what we are looking at. ANy advice would be great.
P.S. Like an idiot I put my name in where I should have put my user name in. (Long day at work)  How can I change it?

Thanks, Mike
Always look downstream

Stretch

What username would you like?

There is no adjustability for the front suspension, although improvements can be made with thicker oil, and some folks like to add a one-inch spacer to increase preload.  Cartridge emulators are also a popular option for folks trying to get the most out of their forks.  Springs are personal preference.  Some riders like progressives, some don't.

The rear is externally adjustable for preload.  Unfortunately, the rear shock is welded together and is not rebuildable.

Sasquatch is our resident suspension guru.  He has built lots of suspensions for members here, and scads more for riders of other bikes as well.

Cleaverid

Stretch, it looks like you have the tourtech skidpate, where did you get the road pegs?  Nice ride.
Always look downstream

Stretch

Thanks.  I built the skidplate and the pegs.  I like to tinker.

Cleaverid

Me too, I'm an Aircraft mechanic so I have the advantage of having all the stuff at work to use.  Nice to have shears and metal brakes at your disposal.  Although I do sheet metal so rarely anymore it would take a while for me to build anything big (and some extra metal).  It is fun though. A couple of my friends are real artists.  It is becoming a lost art.
Always look downstream

Stretch

I, on the other hand, do not have access to metal shears and brakes.  I cut out all the pieces with a jig saw, clamped them to the skidplate frame with Cleco clamps and MIG'ed it all together.  It's slow, but I do what I can.  

abruzzi

Quote from: "Cleaverid"P.S. Like an idiot I put my name in where I should have put my user name in. (Long day at work)  How can I change it?

Thanks, Mike

Stretch or I can change your userid.  Just PM either of us with the userid you want it changed to.

Geof

Stretch

Stretch

Quote from: "Cleaverid"The bike has 18k on it, what should I be looking at closely for problems?

Clicky:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5256

Cleaverid

Quote from: "Stretch"
Quote from: "Cleaverid"The bike has 18k on it, what should I be looking at closely for problems?

Clicky:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5256

Read that one already, nothing too terrible there.  It really comes down to how I like the handeling and the power., I started the bike up but didn't have my riding gear with me so I'll take her for a spin tomorrow and report on the findings.  Nice work with the Skid plate using what you had.  A break can only do so much with the complex bends on your  plate.  Cutting and welding would have to be done. For what they want for the Tourtech, you could start a small buisness...........
Always look downstream

Stretch

I suspect you'll be impressed with the smooth power of the 955 triple.  Compared to many other bikes, it's like a 100-hp electric motor, but with a cool snarl when they get spooled up.  With a sporty muffler, I think they sound a lot like a hopped-up Datsun 280Z.

As for the skidplate, it's been suggested, but with the amount of work I have in that thing, I'd have to charge a lot more than the $360 Touratech wants for theirs.

katoomon

Quote from: "Cleaverid"Stretch, it looks like you have the tourtech skidpate, where did you get the road pegs?  Nice ride.
It is a nice ride. Ask Stretch how he opens his garage door.
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

Silverstripes

I'm just nosing around as usual, read this thread and thought......Oh go on then ......Stretch how do you open the garage door.

I think I will regret asking :roll:

Silverstripes

Stretch

That is cool.

I thought it was going to be a funny story rather than a practical solution.

May consider similar when I electrify the doors.. Now there's a thought... should I tell the wife  :evil: