News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

high performance?

Started by abruzzi, December 20, 2008, 09:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Just saw an article on mcn that said you could hot rod a steamer engine with just cams and CDI from a speed triple or daytona of similar vintage. It sounds easier, and cheaper than an entire engine swap. Anyone done this?  Any other necessary changes? (rejet the carbs?)

Geof

JetdocX

By changing the cams you will probably be sacraficing low and mid-end response for a lot of top end.  

I may look into a speed triple head if I think what's going on in my valvtrain is really happening.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"By changing the cams you will probably be sacraficing low and mid-end response for a lot of top end.  

I may look into a speed triple head if I think what's going on in my valvtrain is really happening.
Why , think the valves are sinking in the head ?
The 98's were rumored to have a batch of bad heads ..................but if you think valves were expensive look up the price of a bare cylinder head .........ouch  $2000 for a bare head . All of the t3 motors used the same basic head the cams and igniter were the difference .
Hell I think the carbs were prolly even the same . You won't lose a lot of bottom end though all of the triumphs had killer torque .
The sprint motor I put in andys Tigger is sweet , it's a perky little thing now !

Find a head and cams from a 95 speed triple and you will have a hot little tiger !
The igniters from a speed triple or trident will give what you want for ignition and higher redline .

JetdocX

Or I buy a Honda. :lol:   Problem solved. :roll:
From parts unknown.

abruzzi

Quote from: "Mustang"Find a head and cams from a 95 speed triple and you will have a hot little tiger !.

not worth trying too hard, but I added a search on ebay to email me if some cams or CDI pop up cheaply.

Geof

JetdocX

I'm officially looking for a T3 cylinder head.  Intakes are back to zero clearance after 8,000 miles. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Any ideas where to look?  Thanks!
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Dude, that doesn't make sense.  Is the problem the valves giving way or is it the head?  I almost wonder if your valve springs are not original or something bizarre like that.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"I'm officially looking for a T3 cylinder head.  Intakes are back to zero clearance after 8,000 miles. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Any ideas where to look?  Thanks!

here's a link that lets you submit what you want to several salvage yards
http://www.motosites.com/Motorcycle_Salvage_Yards/
There has to be some salvage yards around the Reno area , we have several of them here on the east coast all within a couple hundred mile radius of the frozen wasteland .

When looking for a new/used head if it has the cams and valves in it look for one that has 2.75 -2.85 shims in it as that will be one that has prolly never been shimmed from the factory .
if you get one that is using shims near the 2.0 size you will just have more of what you got already !

Tigger #2 (a 1998) gets a 96 Tiger head in the next week or so cuz #1 intakes are fucked !

There was a rumor a long long time ago  that 1998 model tigers had a bad batch of heads .........soft seats and that new valve replacement was only a band aid , complete replacement of the head is what is needed !
No one I heard about it happening to was ever able to get triumph to pony up though because the failures happened  when the machines were out of warranty !

Look for a head from anything made in 1995to 1996 and you should be fine , I would try and find a  head that was complete with cams and make damn sure that the head you buy has the cam caps with it because they ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE in fact they have to be in their original positions too , because they are line bored for the cams at assembly

JetdocX

No salvage yards around here with Triumph parts.  There just aren't that many Triumphs around.  I can get Jap bike parts out the ying-yang.

Starting to wonder what the bike is worth in parts...... :cry:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Starting to wonder what the bike is worth in parts...... :cry:
Not as much as you would be hoping I fear ..............
what have you got other than reworked suspension that every other steamer owner already has ?

Dr. Mordo

Wow, dude, that sucks.  I almost wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper just to buy a whole engine.  

As always, that seems like valuable advice from Mustang.  Should probly go in the Steamer Wisdom thread.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Wow, dude, that sucks.  I almost wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper just to buy a whole engine.  

As always, that seems like valuable advice from Mustang.  Should probly go in the Steamer Wisdom thread.

Help me find one!  I'm not having great luck there. :cry:

Mustang, thanks for the link.  I put my parts request out on two of those sites.  I hope there's someone at the other end reading it.  I kinda doubt it, though.  Glad it's winter. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Wow, dude, that sucks.  I almost wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper just to buy a whole engine.  

Help me find one!  I'm not having great luck there. :cry:

Mustang, thanks for the link.  I put my parts request out on two of those sites.  I hope there's someone at the other end reading it.  I kinda doubt it, though.  Glad it's winter. :wink:

Keep looking dude they are out there , I will start searching salvage yards around here .

When we replaced the motor in Armidillo's 96 tiger , he scored a complete sprint engine off ebay , that was in an accident bike  , minus carbs and water pump , alt , and starter for only $500 and it runs like a trooper
came from a breaker/salvage in Oregon . PM armidillo he might have some info on the guy . was a sweet motor for 500 bucks .

JetdocX

Any reason the Speed Triple motor won't go into the Tiger frame?  Project FrankenSteamer????

How about that 675?  Got a link to the conversion?
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Any reason the Speed Triple motor won't go into the Tiger frame?  Project FrankenSteamer????

How about that 675?  Got a link to the conversion?
The early speed triple motor will bolt right in same motor  1995 , 1996 and maybe 97's once they went to the T509 speed trip I dont believe they were swappable .Sprint's up to and including 1998 trophys 900's and you could probably get a t bird or legend motor in  No way will anything else fit with out major fabrication and mad skillz  :o