News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Intro and a few ??

Started by AUtiger, January 10, 2009, 02:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUtiger

Hey all, I just purchased a new to me 2000 tiger in pretty good shape. I post up some pics when I get some good weather and time. I used to hangout at triumphrat,(and still will) but this seems to be the "real" tiger forum!

A few quick questions before I use the search.

Any shade tree method of clearing a check engine light?
Can a proper battery tender/charger be plugged into the accessory plug on the left hand side of the motor or is that for powering only?
How big a boy do you have to be to get this beast on the centerstand?

Glad to be here and I'll give you all the full story later.

Alright guys (I assume this thing is too much of a beastfor the girlies, whoops no pun intended.

I have now put her on the centerstand at least 5 times, I am 168lbs and 5'10" for the record.

The check engine light cleared a cycle or 2 after I changed the oil.
I hope to ride it enough to not need a battery tender, but I have another triple in the garage also so I have to keep them both charged even during an AL winter.

I have begun the farkling and will start new post for those. JC Whitney topcase and Cee Bailey's no 2 +6in windscreen.

REGULATOR

where are you in Alabama?

welcome aboard,   I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery works, I know if soembody near you has tuneboy, they can clear the code without needign an ecu unlock...( ive done it to a daytona before)

I must be a big boy cause I have no problems with center stand,  

lower the stand with foot unit its level hold clutch side grip in left hand,  reach down with right hand and grab passenger peg hanger...  then with a pull on the gri[, the peg hanger at teh same time I also push down on the stand with my foot to rock it all up at once...

abruzzi

1. If the underlying fault persists, you have to fix that first, but if the fault is gone, you clear the engine light by going through three full hot/cold cycles.  i.e start the bike and idle/run it for 10 minutes.  Stop it, let cool for a couple hours, repeat.  And again.

2 Yes.

3. It's not size that matters, but how you use it.  (i.e. leverage.)  The trick, is:

- push the center stand down with your right foot, and let the bike fall away from you a bit.  You want to make sure that both feet of the stand are touching.

- left hand steadies the bike on the handlebar, right hand grabs something convenient like the passenger peg hangers.

- right hand pulls up and to the rear of the bike hard while you put all your weight on the stand. If it doesn't go the first time try rocking it.

welcome.

Geof

Cleaverid

Congrats on the new purchase, you'll love it. And yes the centerstand is a bitch until you get the technique down. I don't have a lot of lead in my ass either and the smooth garage floor makes it worse.  IE: "Lets see how far I can scoot it on the floor this time before she goes up."  I'll have to try some of the pointers here to see if it helps.

Cleaver
Always look downstream

iansoady

Quote from: "abruzzi"while you put all your weight on the stand. [/i]

is the operative bit, although all the rest is also true. Most people try to lift the bike rather than use their own body weight on the built-in lever on the stand.

However, those of us built for comfort rather than speed have the advantage.....[/i]
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

However, those of us built for comfort rather than speed have the advantage.....

aint that the truth  :D  :D  :D  :lol:

NortonCharlie

If the bike is lowered (eccentric flipped) and a stock center stand it is a 2 person job to get it up (I tell my wife that all the time).  I had that setup on my 01 for my trip home from New York.  I had to ask a BMW rider I ran into to help me get it on the stand, it wasn't happening by myself.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Cleaverid

Using the tips helped a bunch. Grabbing the rear foot rest bar rather than the rear rack made getting it up much easier. Thanks
Always look downstream

Tom Herold

Welcome to the Tiger family!  The people here are certainly a good bunch, and if they can't answer something directly, they'll put effort into helping!!

Sounds like you've made a good start at getting to know the bike. The only thing I can add to help with the centerstand is I rock the bike back and forth a few times to build the momentum for the pull onto the stand. I'm in the "built for speed" catagory at 5'10" and 170lbs, and this helps me out a lot.

Post some pics, ride safe and don't be a stranger!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

adrian jones

Welcome.

What part of Bama are you in?

Used to live in Daphne myself.

Nice lookin Tiger.
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

AUtiger

Adrian, I am on the other end of the state, N Bama.

HappyMan

[/quote]However, those of us built for comfort rather than speed have the advantage.....[/i][/quote]

I'm getting more and more comfortable with age...... :shock:
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

adrian jones

Great lookin bike.
I have the '05 BRG version.
LOVE it.  
Welcome to the insanity, and let the FARKLING BEGIN!
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

The Kurgan

Nice looking Tiger. I love the 2000 model year blue colour.

You could also get rid of that boat anchor of a centre stand  :lol: and use a proper paddock/swingarm stand when needed.

BTW, what happened to your neighbour's lawn?  :D
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]