News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oxidized? rear wheel

Started by AUtiger, January 11, 2009, 10:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUtiger

My new to me rear wheel (2000 Girly) appears to have a layer of oxidation or patchy discoloring on the surface. This bike has had a past life in the N US.  First I just tried a good cleaning with 50:50 simple green:water, didn't work.

Next some McQuires(sp?) wheel cleaner for Al and Mg. It does shine up the wheel a bit but doesn't seem to effect the discolored portions.

The only thing I know to try next is the solution that is used to clean aluminum pontoon boat pontoons and it is some sort of an acid solution that is sprayed and rinsed off. Not sure if I'll try that or not.

Do any of you that have northern US girlies have wheels that are splotchy due to road salts or am I just special?

Stretch

The rims aren't bare aluminum, but anodized to resist corrosion.  If they're blotchy, a previous owner may have used too harsh a chemical, such as Aluma-Brite or some other highly-acidic cleaner, and ruined the anodized finish.

Are the botches all over, or just in a small area?  Maybe he accidentally spilled battery acid on them...?  Post some pics.

The Kurgan

Irregardless of the possible reasons for the blotches, and there could be many, here's an opportunity to pop-off the rear tire and get it powdercoated a nice gloss black, or whatever colour suits you.  8)
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

AUtiger

Stretch, I think you may have the answer. It appears that a previous owner di damage with a cleaner!  It is pretty much all over, so it's not just a drop or two or something. Funny thing is, the front looks fine, so maybe the back tire was the "test patch".

Stretch

Too bad.  If you have some 0000 steel wool, try lightly scouring one of the blotches to see if there's a bit of unblemished finish underneath.  Don't go too deep, or you'll scour through to the bare aluminum.

Other than that, if the appearance really bugs you, you might could find a used wheel at Ma's Cycles  http://www.mascycles.com/  or Baxter Cycle  http://www.baxtercycle.com/

Or have it powdercoated a là Kurgan's suggestion.

Or do what I do and ride lots of dirt roads and clean the bike only once a year.  :mrgreen: