News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Metal Fuel Fittings

Started by EvilBetty, January 19, 2009, 08:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

The Buna N o rings are fine , the o rings that come on the fittings will be fine also

and I don't reccomend using inch size orings on a metric application , you will be asking for trouble

McMaster Carr has metric orings

EvilBetty

I just heard back from TeamTriumph on the sizes of the parts in their kit.

QuoteYes 1/4" female and 3/8" male with viton o'rings.

Other than the different brand o-rings, they sound the same to me.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

EvilBetty

Well I went ahead and ordered them... I'm getting antsy to get this bike put back together.

I'll let you know how the do.

EvilBetty

I got the new fittings today...  The old ones came out easily except for the true lack of wrench clearance with the release tab in the way...

I went to thread the new ones but noticed lots of old sealant crudded up in the threads.  I broke out the acetone and q-tips but that didn't put a dent in it.

Any recommended method for cleaning out the threads?

Did any of you who installed metal fittings use a Teflon tape or Loctite 577 or something else to seal the new parts?

2004Tiger

To remove that hardened gunk, I would use a thread tap matching the original hole. I think Teflon tape is a good idea.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

EvilBetty

Can you do that with tapered threads?

I was going to see if I could find a brass brush similar to a bottle nipple brush to clean it up, but I have to go hunting after work for such an animal.

Stretch

I don't believe Teflon tape would stand up against fuel.  You're not supposed to use it on propane and natural gas fittings for that reason.

walker

you can also remove the release tab - press the little plunger all the way in, the metal tab slides out - careful the plunger and the spring don't go flying away on you... makes installing easy - you can use a regular socket at that point.

I think the set I had recommended teflon tape. I used a small amount of it without problem. I also cleaned the threads out really good - didn't have a tap, used some dental pics instead.

EvilBetty

Funny you should now mention that! :)

I was looking at the pin here in the office... suddenly sure that pin could be depressed and the clip removed...

Thankfully there were 3 people in my office when I tried it.  The pin went sailing... 2 people eyeballed it.  The sprint landed on my desk, then the spring behind the clip rolled across the floor on our lovely alternating random pattern carpet.

I have it back together now,  I think I'll work inside a zip lock back when I go to do this at home!

I have a pick set... I'll give that a try in combination with a brass brush if I can find one on the way home that will fit.

Anyone have a guess as to what these should be torqued to?

EvilBetty

I'm seeing a lot of advise against using white Teflon tape for fuel fittings.  

Yellow appears to be used a lot but is intended for natural gas.  Apparently there is a red/pink Teflon tape for use in fuel fittings.  I've seen yellow at home depot but never seen pink/red.

I saw a lot of other posts of people using Yamabond/Hondabond to seal fuel fittings.

I have a whole tube of ThreeBond 1194 at home.  Since the old sealant looks remarkably like the sealant that was all over the stator grommet in my alternator cover, I'm wondering if using the ThreeBond would not be a good choice?

QuoteThreeBond 1194 is a semidrying liquid gasket whose major component is special synthetic rubber. After it is applied and dried, it will form a rubber-like elastic body. Since it excels in padding property, it shows a high sealing effect on bonded surfaces that have poor flatness and large clearance. In addition, it has excellent resistance to water, oil and gasoline.

walker

they're tapered - they'll tighten up enough that any small amount of teflon tape won't let anything leak through the threads anyway.. Different than a straight fitting which requires some kind of additional sealant.

I was following the instructions, and have used it in the past on holly flange type fuel fittings without problems - granted, flange type fittings seal differently (keep that in mind). My experience differs from a lot of opinions (which is good enough for me). Of course, the day it comes back to haunt me, that'll be my new experience to go by....

Use your own judgement, of course - whatever works and makes you comfortable with a job well done! :D  Oh yeah - the ones from team triumph come with tape already on there. The best option is probably a better thread sealant designed for fuel lines - I know permatex makes a nice one, available in a tube.

For torque: I think the instructions said to thread them in, and leave a certain amount of thread exposed - you don't bottom them out. I don't remember the amount - I THINK it was 3/8" - no closer than that? You tighten down and leave 3/8"? I want to say it was 4 threads. Maybe 5. You'll know because it will start to get difficult to turn. Did not give a torque setting. The plastic ones appeared to be bottomed out from the factory.

The instructions for a tapered fitting said that tightening them ALL the way down might crush them and make the fitting a different diameter (crack, leak, other types of bad scenarios were mentioned).

EvilBetty

Great info, thanks!

Are the clamps on the male fittings Stepless Ear Clamps?  How do you get them off?

matttys

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Great info, thanks!

Are the clamps on the male fittings Stepless Ear Clamps?  How do you get them off?

I jammed a slotted screwdriver in there and popped them off.  Replaced those clamps with worm gear hose clamps.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

EvilBetty

They are not stepless ear clamps.  I'm not sure what they are, but they are reusable.

I used a pair of nippers and a small flat blade to squeeze and then unlatch the clamp.

Unfortunately that's when I noticed that the male fittings are two different sizes on the barbed side.  Looks like the bottom one is 3/8", and the top one is 1/4".  I'm going to call QuickCouplings Monday and see what can be done.

Here are pics of the clamps and fittings.

EvilBetty

Found them, sort of...

Norma COBRA clamps...
http://82.145.133.139/kunden/norma/ttw. ... RA__en.pdf

These things are pretty neat (I'm a geek).

I'm torn betwen trying to find two more of the larger clamp size and use a 3/8" hose from that end of the fuel rail, or go through the fun of getting the 3/8" CPC replaced with a 1/4" CPC fitting.