News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2000 Tiger Vs 2000 Bandit

Started by Jon KB, January 27, 2009, 01:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon KB

I'm getting ready to purchase another bike, I currently own and am slowly restoring a 83 Honda V45 Sabre (VF750S) but I want a daily driver/touring bike
I've been quite enamored with what I've read and seen about the Tiger.

While it's not quite comparing apples to apples, I'm split between the Tiger and the Suzuki Bandit. They both have loyal supporters who claim them as do anything bikes. I like the look of the Tiger more than the Bandit but believe long term maintenance will be easier/cheaper with the Bandit.

I've not ridden either of these bikes so fit is still a mystery, a local dealer has a older Bandit that I will try out but I've yet to find a comparable Tiger to try. I am six foot tall, 250 lbs with a thirty-one inch inseam.

Riding my Honda, my wife's GSX-R600 and her Marauder cruiser has convinced me that I want a bike with up-right seating.

Money is an issue as I am also addicted to my Jeep and 4wheeling, so for the low side of $4K it appears I have a selection of several Bandits or a few Tigers.

Comments, suggestions, flames?
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com

adrian jones

Owned a Marauder, fun bike but "limited". Especially 2 up.

Test drove a Bandit (and have ridden a friends a couple times) Great bike.
Not sure if you are looking at the 1200 or the 650.  1200 is a screamer!
And I have seen some "converted" to long haul "standard" dual sports.
In the stock form, I find the bars a bit forward and the seat a bit hard for real all day riding.

Also not sure what year model you are looking at for the Tiger. I have the '05. Very very comfortable for all day. Enough "grunt" to keep it fun, more suited to trails and fire roads (you mention 4 wheeling so I assume you need to do the occasional "scouting" trip for new 4 wheel locations ) don't think the Bandit does so good in those situations. Tiger also great 2 up (especially with the top box/backrest for the rider)

You will also find a "sticky" on this site on tons of ways to make Tiger upkeep and mtc. very affordable.

Not sure if this counts but I know I enjoy pulling into any parking lot, gas station, bike night, and getting "hey whats that??" Tiger doesn't look or sound like anything else out there.

From what I have seen, I have also owned a 750 Katana, the mtc. costs and reliability are about the same.

Fire 'em both up and test ride 'em. Whichever one stirs your soul the most is the right one for you.

Guess thats more like $1.02 not just .02.
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

Mustang

A tiger will leave you with a silly friggin grin from ear to ear EVERY time you ride it !

mcd

I had a '98 Bandit, a '96 Tiger, and an '02 Tiger.  I've had the '02 since last October.      
The Bandit was a blast.  Holeshot Perf. frame braces, stage III jet kit, and slipon muffler, plus a Fox twin clicker and RaceTech cartridge Emulator,  Givi hard bags, and a Corbin seat.  The thing could raise eyebrows at track days (given what it was/is), plus take multi day trips in stride.  I set it up rather firm, more towards the sport side. Stock suspension was junk, therefore the Fox/RaceTech setup.
The '96 Tiger was also lots of fun.  Softer on power, but it wasn't intended to be a haulin-ass bike.  I put heavier springs and a RaceTech Emulator  up front and a Hagon on the rear (only because the rear shock quit shocking on my second ride - used 28K mi bike).  I took some multi thousand mile rides on this thing and really enjoyed it.  Kinda funky looking, reliable as a rock, handled decent (considering the flexy fork), and the suspension worked good on rough roads.  Dual high pipes limited carrying capacity.  These things are known for ignition probs in the mid 30k's as Mustang and others will agree, and their advice helped me get mine going after it acted up.
The '02 is my favorite of these three.  A do-all bike.  Rough roads,  freeway, multi day,  bring it on.  Fun to ride, decent suspension,  comfortable riding position, good range, great engine.  I can't remember when Triumph switched from the steamers to the girlies, but it seems That it was around 2000.  Easy enuff to check.  Not trying to be a salesman, but you'll really enjoy a Tiger.

Tigger_rider

Hey  Check the Pierce County Little Nickle. There is an 06 Tiger with 2400 miles for 7600 dollars. Been advertised for a couple months now so make an offer. If you get the Tiger, Look for my silver one with the big lights in UP.  OLY

John Stenhouse

Buy the Tiger, you know it makes sense  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Jon KB

I love the people you meet in bike blogs.

Tigger a member of this forum but who I didn't know from Adam sent me a message offering me a test ride on his bike.

Nice bike!!

He dropped by today after work and we shot the breeze for a couple of hours and I tried out the Tiger on back roads and the freeway.

I must admit the Tiger is an easy bike to love, comfortable, smooth, quiet and lots of power where you want it.

I think my mind is made up!  

Now all I have to do is take the time to wait for the right one to show up on the market.

Thanks Tigger your generosity is much appreciated.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time

Advwannabe

It would be fantastic to have another owner in the pride, but make sure you check the Bandit out before you buy. It's a completely different ride to Tigger, but the reason it has such a loyal following is that it is a great bike. Indestructable engine, great on road handling, decent gravel road handling, endlless farkles, a great slightly faster more road oriented all rounder than the Tiger.Make sure you get what suits you the best.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Stretch

Funny, I'm in the middle of doing some repairs on a friend's 2000 Bandit 600S.  He had let it sit in a barn for three or four years with fuel in the carbs, so I'm soaking them for a few days in preparation for a rebuild.

I got it running before I pulled the carbs, but it would only run with the choke on, and even then it had a huge stumble just off idle, so I wasn't able to judge the engine at all.

But the ergos are completely wrong for a guy my size.  I needs me a tall standard with an upright riding position, tall seat, long suspension, and more ground clearance.

Advwannabe

If everyone was over 6'3" Stretch we'd be set! Unfortunately this is not the case.

For anyone shorter than that the Bandit 11-1200 ( I can only speak for these models) is a big comfy sports tourer.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Tiger Chief

I owned a 1200 Bandit 98 before I bought an 02 tiger, great bike but very thirsty..... only 100m tank range ! Tiger is poss a more expensive bike to buy but if your clocking up the miles you will save big time on fuel costs.

abruzzi

I would add, since you love your jeep and driving it on trails, the tigger gives you some two wheeled options that are similar.  No way is the tiger a great off-road bike, but it can do it as well as most of the big trailies, and way better than the bandit.

Geof

Jon KB

An offer was made and accepted for a Yellow 2000 Tiger with a Corbin seat and a pair of hard side bags, cost $3500.00.

Now I have to go pay for it and drive it home.

The Tiger is in Carson City NV and I am in Parkland WA

I'll fly to Reno on the 25th purchase the Tiger on the 26th (hopefully)

The route home is partially dependent on the weather and not decided yet.

I'm getting pumped up at the thought of this, my wife says I am obsessing a little.

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time

Stretch

Sweet!  Happy trails.

Jon KB

Last Wednesday I flew to Reno NV
Last Thursday I purchased a 2000 Tiger
Last Friday I packed her bags and headed for home in WA
Last Saturday I arrived home with my Tiger

All is good in the world