News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

dead battery Or Blown Fuse? hmmmm

Started by REGULATOR, January 27, 2009, 04:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

so I'm heading home and the bike just dies...well actually I noticed the tach stopped working,  I was runnign my off road lights and heated grips so I shut those off but not much further dead....

tried to jumpstart....bike fired up and ran...then died

so I hope its just an old dead battery,  and not a electrical problem as described elsewhere on the site

I think Ineed to do the charging system mod...

Cleaverid

I got @2 volts out of mine.   :D  Went from 12.8 to 14.7. Sounds like you may have another issue with your Reg Rectifier or stator though. Have you kept your battery top charged this winter on a tender? That could be the issue also.  Go here for a troubleshooting chart, charge your battery up 1st and see what it does with a multimeter on it with the bike running:
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-r ... -guide.php
www.regulatorrectifier.com sells both parts as well as Ricks and electosport, change out both if you find one bad. If you don't have a maint manual, PM me and I'll help if I can.

Hope it is just the battery.

Cleav
PS, I may have a new in box Datel volt meter for sale after I see how my passport 8500 works as a volt meter (It'll read batt voltage on the screen and alert @11v for dropping voltage)  Nice to see what the charging is doing realtime to avoid being stuck in BFE.
Always look downstream

REGULATOR

thanks,   I hope it ws the battery,   I put it on a charger ove night and it barely light up the next day...

went and spent the cash on a new battery and we will see ho it does..

I need to hook my passport up and see how it does battery gauge as well..  need to find a decent mount

Cleaverid

I'm going to check it against my Fluke on the battery since I have it going through a switched power supply, I'm sure I'll loose a little bit of accuracy.
Always look downstream

PeteH

I had a similar problem with my 99er, occasionally it would just die then start again. Then one cold day with lights and heated grips on it died, then attempted to start then nothing.
Thinking it was the battery I changed it, still nothing. Long story short - it was wire from the clutch switch that also links into the horn.
You could get continuity from the switch to the connector block and thats what threw me.
With the  cockpit off I checked between the switch and the main harness connector - it was dead.
The core had broken inside the insulation where its crimped on the part that goes to the bars.

Any use?

I did post a picture of the offending item on Triumphrat in a thread by Sofalofa (starter motor 2005 tiger) on the 22/12/07, page 3 dated 28/2/08
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Stretch

Also check the wires coming out of the ignition switch on the top clamp.  I remember hearing of a couple guys who have had wires break.

REGULATOR

bike fired up fine with new battery...

heres hoping its just that..not charging system

REGULATOR

and then the bike died again...

looks like I have whatever that problem is...gotta go search now

Stretch

Run a voltmeter across the battery poles when the bike is running.  At the very least, it ought to read 13.0 VDC

REGULATOR

and if it doesn't?

I'm about to test the stator and the regulator/rectifier to see what they read as well..

John Stenhouse

That does sound as if it might be a broken wire
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

REGULATOR

I get nothing at the battery with it running, constant loss

countdown timer.....11.7  11.6...11.5    

ouch

Stretch

Stator and Regulator / Rectifier.  Again.

REGULATOR

WTF...

this bike had 2500 miles on it when I bought it now has less then 10,000 but still it was liek new...

so a stator and regulator is only good for 9,000 miles?

I put 20,000 on my sprint with no issues

and this bike even had the service bulliten update performed on it..where thyey clip the wire on the regulator and do somethign with it...

( did youknow that at one point they put a service bullitin out?  My vin was affected, my delaer looked it up for me)

just pissed I'm about to drop almost 300 on a bike with less then 10,000 miles and i put 80% of thoe miles on it in the last few months.

REGULATOR

so should I even bother to test anythign else?

what wire shoudl I probe to  check the stator to see if its putting out?

Stretch,  shame your not closer to me in Georgia, you could probably do this in your sleep...

feel like a ride to Augusta?