News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

dead battery Or Blown Fuse? hmmmm

Started by REGULATOR, January 27, 2009, 04:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

First off, make sure the charging system fuse (#2) isn't blown.  If you've done the Sasquatch Voltage Fix, check that fuse instead (as the Fix bypasses Fuse #2).

If it's okay, either the Stator or R/R is shot.  And when one goes, it usually spikes the other.  The odd thing is, they may statically test okay, but won't actually work on the bike.  Make it easy on yourself and replace them both at once.

Check your PMs for a phone number.

REGULATOR

Stretch

I can hear fingers crossing from here...

REGULATOR

Fuse blown,   fuse replaced,   putting out 13.5  V now....

I still need to do the sasquatch mod...

THANKS

Stretch

No sweat.

Now you need to find out why it blew.

REGULATOR

heated grips on High and 2x KC Daylighters?

like I said was bebopping home and the tach went off...the rest was down hill

REGULATOR

what else could cause it to blow?

Oh and my check engine light is still on.... shoudl go off after a few cycles?

Stretch

That may well have done it, especially at idle, when the alternator is scarcely delivering enough voltage and amperage to keep up with those big, powerful lights.  If you're going to run high-drain accessories (such as big lights), you really ought to install a voltmeter to keep track of what's going on in the Electrical Room.

The CEL should cycle off after a couple more cool-downs.

REGULATOR

yep....gauge is on my list , pls sasquatch mod...

that and I was told my rear tailights are not too bright when on,  better when brakes are on but just running dim...

Robbie

Quote from: "Stretch"No sweat.

Now you need to find out why it blew.

and maybe take the new battery back for refund?
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

REGULATOR

well the new battery works great now...

I've replaced the fuse ( should have checked that first I feel soo stupid, rookie mistake)

check engine light went out...

so tonight is sasquatch mod and we will see how it goes on my ride tomorrow

wonder where I could find a battery gauge in a store to use on my ride?

can't really leve my multi meter hooked up

REGULATOR

Ok so sasquatch mod complete,  only got a high of 13.8 after wards..but hey

and I'm removing the kc daylighters they suck wayyyyy tooo much power..

proably the cause of all my drama,  but they do look cool!!

with them on the voltage dropped fast down to 12 almost  with the heated grips on alone it barely dropped to 13.5 or so...so I'm not nervous using those...

Cleaverid

Good news!!!  Nice work guys!  

Cleaver

:D  :D  :D
Always look downstream

REGULATOR

did almost 200 miles today with the grips on almost all day, no issues,  so all is fizex, thanks for all the help...

I still need to find a volt gauge, and maybe a temp guage brrr it was cold today in the AM

I was hesitant to wear my electric liner with recent problems.

Stretch

An electric liner pulls a lot less than a pair of KC's.  My jacket, gloves, and grips all together pull less than 15 amps, while a pair of KC's may pull over 20, depending on the wattage of the bulbs.  

I have a pair of 100-watt KC's on my truck, and they'll pop a 15-amp fuse in just a few minutes... 100 watts divided by 12 volts = 8.3 amps each.  

With about 35 amps total available from the Tiger's alternator, you're going to have to decide which accessories to run at any given time, as the electrical system won't supply enough for everything at once.