News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Wheel Wobble?

Started by Goober, February 06, 2009, 03:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Goober"It wouldn't surprise me if the Triumph Tech at the dealer damaged it when I had the tire replaced.

Thanks!

Hi Goober, this sounds like an itch you can`t scratch !!
just wondered how many miles yer old tyre did before you changed it, if it burnt out it the middle and only had a few thousand mile, it could have been buckled before the change. a wheel with new bearings should NOT wobble, if it does its buckled. :(

just my thoughts !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Goober

KuzzinKenny- I replaced the rear tire after it went about 8000 miles.  It now has about 1-2k on it.

I took it apart again, rechecked everything, made sure everything was in it's place and then spent a lot of time with the alignment to get it as perfect as I could.  It looks a little better, but it's still is wobbling.  Here are a couple of videos, I should have done this from the beginning!  Let me know if this is something to be concerned about.

Thanks!!!!!!

P.S. I took it out on the Autobahn today and got it up to 90mph. It was as smooth as a baby's butt.  Well...As smooth as a Tiger can be anyhow.
2005 Silver Tiger

KuzzinKenny

Hi Goober, 8000 miles is great for a back tyre, so it shows the wheel was ok before the change. only other thing i`ve thought of is, when you put the
SPROCKET CARRIER ASSY ( No. 6 on bikebandit page) back into the wheel are you sure there`s nothing stuck to it, ie washer, small stone anything stopping it going fully home at one side would make it wobble.

between us all we will get to the bottom of this :)

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Goober

Nope, there are no foreign objects inside it.  I've checked and rechecked.  The last 2-3mm though I need to tap the sprocket carrier in with a rubber mallet.  Not hard, just taps on the sprocket bolts to drive it all they way in.  

The cush drive is lined up the same way it originally was.  I'm using the indentations left behind in the rubber from the casting marks, so I know that it is in correctly.
2005 Silver Tiger

iansoady

It's hard to see, but it definitely looks from those as though the whole wheel is distorted - it even seems that the hub is wobbling a bit in the second one.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NortonCharlie

I didn't really see anything that looked bad, there is a little wobble but I would expect to see some wobble on the cast surfaces of the wheel.  Casting tolerances are probably in the 1.0mm range.  All the machined surfaces should be running concentric within about .2mm and all the bearing bores within about .05mm.  A check at the disk mounting flange would would be the best indicator of the machining of the wheel being out of whack.  I would expect to see a little more run out at the sprocket mount simply because you are adding tolerances on 2 parts.  You might pick up some variation depending on the position the sprocket drive is assembled.  If I remember  right it can be indexed in 6 different positions.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Goober

Update on the rear wheel wobble...

After about 750 miles the wheel is almost totally wobble free.  I don't know if it is the new chain/sprockets "breaking in", the cush drive settling in properly, or the bearings seating in all the way.  Maybe it's just the warmer weather:)  Regardless, the problem is gone and the ride is smooth.

Thanks for all of your input!
2005 Silver Tiger