News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why should I trade my KLR for a Girly?

Started by cubfanben, February 07, 2009, 03:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfanben

Hello everyone,

New member here looking for some advice...I am the present owner of an '06 KLR and am looking to sell it and buy an '06 Girly. I do 20% 2-up riding and 10% riding on hard packed fire roads near my cabin in the beautiful mountains of north central PA. For those of you with KLR experience, why should I consider this move? You should probably know that one of my reasons for this move is to find a more road worthy bike, even though I can keep up with most traffic on the KLR.

Thanks in advance for your generous advice.

Ben

HappyMan

For what the KLR costs I would really keep it.  I've got a DR650 and an 06 Tiger.  I use the Tigger for two up street and dirt touring.  Fabulous bike you would never regret owning.  But I would really regret not having my DR.  I use my DR for riding by myself in the dirt.  I couldn't imagine myself without both.

Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

cubfanben

Very good point HappyMan. I love my KLR, the upkeep is minimal. If I had my choice, I would downgrade the KLR to a more dirt worthy bike. It's just a little too top heavy for the real gnarly backroads. Maybe I can take the $ from the sale of the KLR and buy a Suzuki 400 or Yamaha XT225.

Stretch

I have an old Honda XL250 in addition to the Tiger.  Sometimes it's worthwhile having a smaller dual-sport for wooded trails, enduros, etc.

I also have a couple buds who want to ride dirt and gravel roads with me, but who don't have dirt or ADV bikes, so the XL also serves as my 'guest bike'.

HappyMan

Agreed.  If I knew I was going to pick up the Tiger before I bought my Dr I would have gotten a smaller DS.  However, if you can't afford to replace both bikes at once I'd keep the KLR.

abruzzi

Quote from: "cubfanben"New member here looking for some advice...I am the present owner of an '06 KLR and am looking to sell it and buy an '06 Girly. I do 20% 2-up riding and 10% riding on hard packed fire roads near my cabin in the beautiful mountains of north central PA. For those of you with KLR experience, why should I consider this move? You should probably know that one of my reasons for this move is to find a more road worthy bike, even though I can keep up with most traffic on the KLR.

The KLR is a competent bike, but there are some benefits to the tiger:

1. WAAYYY more power.  This and the smooth triple make it a great road bike.

2. If you own a KLR, everyone on advrider assumes your a cheap bastard (rightly or wrongly)

3. No doohickey.

On the negative, the klr will be more competent offroad, and easier to repair with bubblegum and bailing wire.  I agree with the above, replace the KLR with a DR650 or a KLX250, plus the tiger.

Geof

cubfanben

Thanks for the advice for those who responded. Geof -- very valid points on the KLR negatives. And yes, I am a cheap bastard. I owned a BMW RT along with the KLR, but the damn BMW cost me a fortune to maintain and have serviced. If I go with the Tiger, I am definately moving to a much smaller dirt bike. Thanks guys! Great site with insightful minds lurking within.

HappyMan

......minds lurking.  Yes, I agree.

Good luck with your search.  You will not be disappointed by the Tiger.

The Kurgan

I have photos of my 2008 KLR around here somewhere...

A great machine and very competent in all conditions...

The only downside is that it runs at a high rpm on the highway. I can't see long engine life if running at sustained highway speeds all day. Of course, who buys a 650 single for long distance highway commuting/touring?

My 2005 Tiger is basically superior to my 2008 KLR in every conceivable way except the following:

The KLR650 is:
1. More dirt worthy (BUT NOT BY MUCH!)
2. Easier to maintain
3. Huge selection of aftermarket accessories
4. Huge selection of cheap parts
5. CHEAPER to buy
6. SLIGHTLY lighter
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Tigger_rider

Hi All    I traded my KLR in on my first Tiger, big mistake. The KLR is great for the tight and nasty stuff the Tiger is too big for and the Tiger is great for long rides, fire roading and running with the sport bikies . My advice, Keep them both and you will have all kinds of riding covered. I plan on getting another KLR and mounting some knobbies on it just for the mainly off road stuff.     OLY

stewks

I just went down the path your thinking about. Couple years ago I bought an 03 KLR as a reentry into motorcycling.  I'm in a rural area with alot of 2 track and gravel roads which the KLR is great on, but I found myself doing more street riding than I anticipated and quite a bit more 2 up including a 1400 mile jaunt last summer ':shock:'.  Got to thinking about a more street worthy version of the KLR and ended up buying an 05 tiger.  I only got about 2,500 miles before the snow flew but I can tell you it is much smoother, more road worthy and much more capable as a 2 up touring bike!  It seemed more stable in our nearly constant 30mph crosswinds than the KLR. I was really delighted with the purchase.  This winter, I went to work on the KLR putting knobbies back in place of the scorpions and ready for trail use, but have considered selling and going to a 250 or 400 dirt bike.  Farkles for the Tiger are not as easy to come by but not impossible.  Good luck with your decision.