News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

24K service completed!

Started by Tom Herold, February 16, 2009, 10:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

I'm right at 24,800 miles on the odometer, I bought the bike with 18k. I had a stator and R/R problem so I replaced them with new ones from Ricks. While I had the bike apart and the cam cover exposed I decided to check the previous owners verbal claim of having the valve clearances checked at 16K just for my personal piece of mind..... and I'm glad I did.....

As it turns out, I broke the original seal on the cam cover gasket. I found all but 2 of the shims way out of spec, 6 of them I couldn't even get the minimum spec gauge between the cam lobe and shim..... I wasn't very happy....

So, thanks to the shim tool Mustang sold me and the left over shims from my Sprint ST and Thunderbird, I have all the valves sitting on the loose end spec and the cam cover buttoned up. New Iridium plugs, new Purolator fuel filter (21111 fits and works nicely) and a fresh OEM air filter rounded things out.

While I was in the engine, I did the Sasquatch mod to the R/R, replaced the battery and did some general cleaning/housekeeping under the side panels and fairings.

On the top side, I added an MRA adjustable laminar lip to my Cee Bailey #2 +4 1/2 and hard wired in my heated clothing and Garmin GPS lines.

Since I've owned the bike, I've replaced the tires (I have a running commentary on the Conti Trail Attacks under the tires thread), the front and rear break pads, the chain and sprockets, added Hyperlites to the tail section and sit my butt on a Corbin saddle.

I ran it out about 30 miles on the local roads, and a 20 mile stint on the interstate checking for leaks or any other issues and I'm very happy with the results of all the recent servicing. I'm running a healthy 14.7v at 3000-3500 rpm and above and at idle I'm getting a consistent 12.7v (Thanks Sasquatch!!)

The cam/valves are singing to me, the bike feels crisper, and even sounds healthier. Maybe I'll get better than the 39mpg I was averaging prior to this.....

Usually I'm a trusting man, but my gut telling me to check the valves while I was in there makes me feel alot better knowing it's been done and done right.

I ran my Harley out on a 720 mile round trip to Gatlinburg, TN, last weekend because the Tiger was waiting on a few gaskets to complete the maintenance. I can honestly say I missed my big cat and I'm damn glad to have it back on the road!! By far, this is the best all-around bike I've ever owned, I really enjoy it!

Thanks to the folks who keep this site up and running and for all of you who make contributions in time, knowledge and support, you've helped me out a lot and my Tiger's better maintained more reliable because of it!!!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

The Kurgan

Nothing like a sweet running Tiger! Thanks for sharing your positive experience with us.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Bear

I have 8000km till the Tiger goes under the knife for the 40000km service, I am trembling with anticipation a bit, big job, worst part will be not riding her for a while. But thanks to yours and other peoples posts it sound like it's doable.
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

TigerTrax

I just stopped in my Triumph dealer inquiring about a 24,000 service.
I had planned to do most of it myself... but let them adj the valves.

While discussing this.... here was their ESTIMATE to me:
4 Hours at $75/ hour: $300
-1 new air cleaner
-3 new plugs
-1 new fuel filter
-1 new chain
-new oil/filter
-adjust valves
TOTAL ESTIMATE: $550 - $580
I believe in dealer loyalty but not in this instance.

So I guess I'll learn to do the valves and say I saved enough to buy the set of panniers headed my way! I may just buy my parts off the net, too!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

PeteH

an ex dealer mechanic with his own buisiness quoted me at at £240 labour plus parts to change the head gasket, do the shims etc and re adjust the head bearings that the main dealer said they changed 8k ago :?
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Tom Herold

Honestly, doing the valves isn't that hard. For me, it was getting to them that was the trying part!  

The way the Tiger engine's set up in the frame, everything's readily accessible.  I'd highly recommend having everything you need to the the complete job on-hand before even taking the seat off. It'll make life and the process much easier.

Simply follow the directions in the service or haines manual and you'll be fine. Start on a Friday evening or early on a Saturday morning so you can hit your local bike shops for shims.  Run your calculations for needed shim replacement and take the sheet with you.  I alway take my calipers and measure the shims, they're hardly ever the thickness printed on them. Personally, I set my calculations up for the loosest setting incase I have to buy a shim that's a bit larger than needed. It gives me room to wiggle down into the clearance a bit.  That practice has worked on 3 different triples now, so I must be doind something right!!

In theory, if you can get your current cleaarances checked early in the day and have your required replacements in hand by lunch, you can have the bike back together that evening/night.

Not only do you save some money, you have the satisfaction of having done the job yourself and a measure of pride to go along with it!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton