News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sputter while accelerating from low RPMs

Started by jawad, February 25, 2009, 07:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I believe its the pre 2000 TT600 sticks which fit.
Also... If Nology make the PVL coils, then wouldn't it be cheaper to get PVL's? or am I missing something?

GavD

Quote from: stfontaine on July 10, 2015, 07:36:41 PM

Is the good direct fire coils looks like those ?

Yes, that's what mine look like.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 10, 2015, 11:00:13 PM
Have to do a bit of digging as I seem to remember seeing Nology HT wires for the T400 somewhere  :icon_study:

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/nohospplwi19.html

GavD

Quote from: JayDub on July 11, 2015, 12:04:02 PM
Also... If Nology make the PVL coils, then wouldn't it be cheaper to get PVL's? or am I missing something?

Good question JD, Nology £75 each, PVL £55 each.
I'm a stick coil convert myself, you don't really hear of the later models (once they went away from the modular concept) suffering coil problems so that's really why I went that route, plus they only cost me about £40 for the set off ebay and a few quid at Maplins for some twin wire and spade connectors to extend the wiring.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

Quote from: GavD on July 13, 2015, 09:06:24 PM
Good question JD, Nology £75 each, PVL £55 each.
I'm a stick coil convert myself, you don't really hear of the later models (once they went away from the modular concept) suffering coil problems so that's really why I went that route, plus they only cost me about £40 for the set off ebay and a few quid at Maplins for some twin wire and spade connectors to extend the wiring.
it's just the opposite here in the USA
new nology's $69 usd each
pvl's = $85 to $100 each
:^_^

JayDub

Us Brit's do like our labels... Total fashion victims  :icon_mrgreen:

ssevy

Just a heads up - the Nology Hotwires are not custom lengths, so you will have to be a bit creative with their routing to avoid any kinks. Mine work great though:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sparky

Quote from: ssevy on July 13, 2015, 11:20:27 PM
Just a heads up - the Nology Hotwires are not custom lengths, so you will have to be a bit creative with their routing to avoid any kinks. Mine work great though:

Would you guys stop helping me spend money !  I have a wife and three teenage daughters I can't afford to browse this site as well.

I do have the Nology coils on mine did you notice any difference with the new wires ?
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

ssevy

Naw, it's just all my bike gear is red and black, and the factory wires were yellow. These match my other gear better :icon_razz:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ssevy on July 14, 2015, 02:42:06 AM
Naw, it's just all my bike gear is red and black, and the factory wires were yellow. These match my other gear better :icon_razz:

Talk about fashion victim  :pimp I seem to remember you talking about red jackets before  :icon_rolleyes: Yellow from the factory  :icon_scratch:

Thanks Mustang  :notworthy

I had a long chat with a very helpful chap at Magnecor who has made up custom leads for a T400 Trophy before and knew all the ins and outs of it. He has had experience with Gill coil failures but said PVL's almost never fail and while he wasn't very complimentary about Nology "Hot Wires" and a few other "miracle" makes, he did think their coils were good though.

He was of the opinion that, if you are going to have a problem with the HT ignition, then you will notice it at high RPM's first, where the load on the coils is higher due to the increased cyl pressures, then throughout the rev range as it get's worse and that fits with my experience but my experience is with non CDI ignitions.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Me no understandy Sin.

How does cylinder pressure have an effect on coils?  :^_^
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

When the pressure and air fuel density is high, the resistance is also high. A high resistance means a higher reluctance for the spark to jump. Like any power equation, mechanical,  fluid, electrical, all the same. Increasing resistance increases heat in the coil between each charge cycle which has to be dissipated. A hard ask when your stuck up under a plastic tank.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

motoOzarks

I'd give some credit to the reduced time for the conductive wire to cool between sparks as a result of higher rpms.

Most conductors lose capacity with heat build up.  Hence the need for a component to have a range of acceptable specs.

If any of the system is deteriorated with age, corrosion, insulating capacity it works everything harder.  Meaning less likely to have the right energy at the right time.

Sin mentions it starts first at higher rpms and then is noticeable throughout the rpm range.  If high cylinder pressure from rpms is the culprit why would it do it later in other rpm ranges?

Heat

Over time the coils fail.  They are a wear item.  They are a mix of a shorted out battery and a tire.

Make sure your coils are getting the right juice to work like they need to as part of your process.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Bixxer Bob

Not Steamer, but I can add that Chris Canning and I both noticed the difference when switching to a MOSFET reg/rec as it gives 14.7v from very little revs to the top end thus giving the ECU and coil sticks their best chance to provide a fat spark.

Also worth noting is that I spotted a dying coil stick on Chris's bike because the dwell angle (viewed on TuneECU) for the centre stick was a few milliseconds behind the other two.  Chris replaced it and immediately felt the difference.  If you have the ability to read dwell angle you might find similar.  I have an oscilloscope that could do it; perhaps there's another way???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...