News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sputter while accelerating from low RPMs

Started by jawad, February 25, 2009, 07:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jawad

My 98 Streamer has started to sputter when I accelerate from a stopped position.  Where should I start looking?

Here are some additional facts:

The sputter (chug chug chug) only lasts a few seconds/feet.  If I give it some gas, I can get past the sputter.  It does not return at higher RPMs and steady speeds.  

I can replicate it while moving by letting go of the gas and slowing down below 3k RPM and then accelerating again.

It continues even after the bike has warmed up for 10-20 minutes.

Its been raining here in California, but not very cold.  

The bike has 9K miles on it.  Major service was performed at 6K

aeronca

sounds like an ignition coil going south on you. ask me (or any steamer owner how we know :D ) look there first. replace with nology coils. good luck and keep us posted.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

it's probably coils , my 98 did the same thing , exact syptoms . Nology's are your friend .You can buy them online here , much less $$$$ than the junk triumph coils made by gill
http://www.nologyhotwires.com/

you want to order the single outlet coils  part # 152-001-060T PFC-06S
you need three of them at 70 bucks each
your tiger will thank you !

jawad

Thank you Mustang and Aeronca,
Things have become so bad for us that Nology is advertising the Truimph coils on their front page.  Must be a big money maker for them.

Do I need to do any more diagnostics?

My Haynes manual calls them Ignition HT coils and tells me that the primary resistance should be 0.63 ohms +/- 10%, and secondary should be 10.5 K-ohms +/- 10%.  Will this tell me anything useful?  Anything else about the science and symptoms of bad coils that anyone would care to share?

For those doing a fresh search on the topic, here is an old thread where Mustang and Jetdocx talk about coils, and a picture of the new Nology coils mounted.
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Mustang

They will usually ohm out fine ..............so that test tells you nothing .
The problem is they can't take a compression load like you are doing when feeding it the gas from under 3k rpm , the spark is just too weak , eventually the one that is causing the problem right now will give up and you will lose fire to that cylinder completely .
The Gill coils made in england break down with age for some reason , even though yours only have 9 k miles on them , my 98  took a hike at 35k but I have a 95 steamer that is still running the original coils , they are PVL coils made in Germany , guess who makes the nology coils ? Nology's are rebranded PVL's !

Resist the urge to screw with the carbs , it is the coils causing your problem .

The nology's will give a smoother idle and crisper throttle , you will notice the difference the minute you start it up with the new coils  :D

nightrunner

I went through a lot of headaches thinking I had a jetting issue on my 98 and it was the carbs.   I however went a different route.  Other Triumph models use a coil that sits right on the plug.  Its no bigger than a plug boot.  They are used on the sportier models (like TT600) with higher compression so its a hotter spark.  Also you eliminate the HT plug wires which will also wear out eventually too.  A set of used on-the-plug coils can be had on ebay for about $30 (for a set of 4 which gives you a spare).   You just have to run extensions wires (12 volt) from the where the coils are now mouted to the plugs, and some miniture female spade connectors from Radio Shack.

And the old ones will indeed ohm out just fine like the others said.  When the coils start to go they are temp sensitive, so the bike can run fine cold and then sputter when its warmed up.    Also in cold weather they will take longer to heat up and sputter.  All this can really screw with diagnosis.  Asl me how I know :-(    BTW, mine got flakey at 3000 miles so it aint just the mileage.

Good luck either way you go.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

aeronca

here's my saga http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=. i went through the same thing as your going through. the part that pissed me off the most is that when i got a new coil i brought in to work one night where i have access to very ,very high end and expencive electronic test equiptment(a good airline perk), and the secondary part of the coil was not ohming out right according to the book , and would fail every time on the bike(brand new from triumph). you cant tell that to the shop that sold you the piece of shit. they just look at you and say "it passed for us on da bench, and you aint no moto-cyco mekanik". i ended up eating the cost of a coil which hangs in my garage as a reminder. NOLOGY is the way to go.imho.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

RobH

I went down Nightrunner's route, a set of 4 x direct fire coils on Ebay costs half as much as a single nology coil, leaves you with a spare and no HT leads to fail ;-). Careful though, there are two types, only one is small enough to fit the steamer head, both types will prob be on Ebay so you can compare.

BTW, this was to correct exactly the problem you've been having, although my bike had/has a whole host of other problems thanks to previous owner abuse.

Cheers

H

nightrunner

Quote from: "RobH"I went down Nightrunner's route, a set of 4 x direct fire coils on Ebay costs half as much as a single nology coil, leaves you with a spare and no HT leads to fail ;-). Careful though, there are two types, only one is small enough to fit the steamer head, both types will prob be on Ebay so you can compare.

BTW, this was to correct exactly the problem you've been having, although my bike had/has a whole host of other problems thanks to previous owner abuse.

Cheers

H

Yup, get the skinny ones.  If they have a flat top and mounting ears, they will not fit.  I found this out the hard way.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

stfontaine

Hi !
I'm a new owner of a 1998 streamer and I'm suspecting bad Gill coils on my cat.

Is the good direct fire coils looks like those ?

Thanks !

threepot

I recently swapped the coils from my s3 from my tiger,when I noticed a very slight 'miss' at low revs. The swap cured the issue,but strangely didn't notice it when I ran the suspect set on the tiger? Bike has run fine for a couple of months...until the Wales meet. With SinTiger riding pillion,bike started to hesitate under acceleration,but cleared as the revs increased. The extra 'load' obviously too much for one coil? Strangely though,they are PVL'S! So they can fail eventually. I may go the 'stick' route?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

Same here,
spluttery at low revs.
Went the TT600 coil route - been sweet for 4 years now.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: threepot on July 10, 2015, 08:59:04 PM
With SinTiger riding pillion,bike started to hesitate under acceleration,but cleared as the revs increased.

Spit it out TP, do I need to go on a diet  :icon_scratch:

I'm getting similar, been resisting the temptation to go with Nology's but I think it's time to bite the bullet. Have to do a bit of digging as I seem to remember seeing Nology HT wires for the T400 somewhere  :icon_study:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint