News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Should I or Shouldn't I

Started by ccherry, February 27, 2009, 04:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccherry

buy a Girly?  Currently a BMW F650 GS owner (happy one at that) but have been lusting for a Lucy Orange Girly since Cos thought about selling his.  Well aware of the JD saga with his Steamer.......Have a line on 2, yes 2, Lucy Orange Girlies in NM so very close to jumping into the cage.......anyone care to talk me out of it (or reinforce why I should)???  My only 2 issues from a couple of good test rides is seat height and weight.  I figure I can fix one but not the other.  I do love the smooth power of the triple though and twisties are sooooo much fun!
thanks
carter

(anyone want to buy a Beemer??)

2004Tiger

Buy the Girly, keep the BMW. Ride both. At the end of this summer, you will know which one to sell.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Cos

About your two issues:

The weight...alright, she's no Twiggy. However, i've only had problems with the weight in two situations. One was when the bike was already on its way down in a slow fall type situation. Get some decent crashbars, get out of the way, let'er fall and pick the bitch up.  :lol:

Regarding the height, i'm no Stretch. I'm 5'11, so there's no way i can flat foot the bike. Not really an issue. I only put one foot down anyway. If it's a situation where i have to move the bike around, i just get off and push. No big deal either. You just have to make yourself aware of how the ground around you slopes though because once she starts leaning way over...well, it's crashbar time.

Great bike, i'm glad i didn't have to sell mine.

Stretch

I can flatfoot mine on the centerstand.  :mrgreen:

Cos

Good for you...freak.

:lol:

Stretch

I get 'Freak of the Week' every week.

stook

Quote from: "Stretch"I can flatfoot mine on the centerstand.  :mrgreen:

I can flatfoot mine if I take the seat off  :wings

Rides better with the seat on though   :shock:

adrian jones

I presently own BOTH an '05 Girly (BRG--the fastest color IT HAS RACING IN THE NAME!!!)

& A

1997 F650 (red)

THe 650 is for sale.
Great bike easy to work on, fun to zip around town on.....but not enough..........balls......(no he didn't).

If I only can have one bike, The Tiger wins.  Weight, yes it is harder to move around than the BMW. PLAN AHEAD. Simple.

6' and can "semi flat foot"  one flat one tip toe.

On the other hand the things I really like over the 650.
POWER.
Comfort and confidence out on the highway battling the SUV soccer moms and Semi's.
Sound (love the Triumph Triple)
Torque WAAAAY more of this.

And well, the Tiger is just a more planted stable strong platform to ride on.
Also far better 2 up than the 650.

I think some "lowering options" exist if the height is a big (no pun intended) issue.  However sitting up high on the Tiger perch certainly helps to see OVER the car in front of you. Honestly saved my bacon TWICE!

I like the little thumper, but owning both side by side, the BMW just seems like a little toy after I have been on the  TIger. (I'm sure to get hate mail now)

All kidding aside, if you are doing primarilly highway 1 or 2 up riding you will not regret the switch. Would ride cross the country and beyond with the wife on my Tiger.
If dirt is your thing......the lightness of the BMW would prevail IMHO
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

brad1098

Short guy reporting here on the high side of 5'8"  You can flip the rear axle on the spoke wheel girlies (has nothing to do with the spokes, but with the tensioner) and get about 1".  Drop the front forks the old fashioned dirt bike way.  She's just right now and its all for free.
02 black-Lorna

JetdocX

Do it!  It gives the guys over on f650.com someone else to pick on besides me. 8)
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Quote from: "stook"
Quote from: "Stretch"I can flatfoot mine on the centerstand.  :mrgreen:

I can flatfoot mine if I take the seat off  :wings

Rides better with the seat on though   :shock:

Actually, I can't flatfoot the bike on the centerstand.   I was just playin' with Cos.

stook

That's OK, I was just kidding about riding around with the seat off anyway.    :wink:

Bixxer Bob

I sold a 2004 F650GS when I bought the 2005 Girly.  The 650 was abrilliant bike BUT, got a bit breathless when pushed - needed another 20 bhp or so.  Girly is heavier,  but almost as agile when on the move.  The GS is tall, so the height of the Girly shoouldn't be an issue.  I never regretted doing it anyway.  And BMW gave me a stiff ignoring when I complained about the head bearings needing replacing after only 6000 miles, said I must have been doing wheelies.  I suggested it might be more to do with the heat from the engine oil in the frame melting the grease outta them.  Anyway,  I digress.  If you need more grunt buy the Tigger,  if you don't stick with the 650.

:roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ccherry

Thanks for all the comments and ideas.  Most of my riding is 4+ hour trips but avoid the slab as much as possible.  No 2 up and only light off highway - note not off road - worst I do is forest service roads.  The 650 is still almost 500lbs wet and packed so it isn't really light either.  

No decision yet, will update once i get off my arse and do something  (or once i convince the boss i won't buy another one, ever :ImaPoser )

oxnsox

Hey it's great to see you're looking at a Tiger as an upgrade option, and I doubt you'll regret making the choice if you do. Something else to consider might be a Kawasaki Versys (KLE650)... it ain't a Tiger, but it's not an F650 either...  If they ever make a Tiger Cub (675eng), this is what it should be better than.  I ride either the Girly or the Versys depending upon my riding day. Simply a case of horses for courses.
You know your course....choose your horse....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~