News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bought----WTB Heated Grips

Started by JasonS, February 28, 2009, 05:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonS

I have an 06 Tiger and would like to get a set of heated grips... ouch.. stealer pricing is a bit steep, as always at $160++.... thanks for helping

WF
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

jetpoweredmonkey

Hey Jason, I don't know of anywhere you can get the OEM heated grip kit for less than $160.  But I do know of a way that you can make it work and look OEM for about half that if you're willing to do the wiring and bust out the soldering iron.

Go to bikebandit.com and look up the OEM parts fiche for a 2006 Tiger (or maybe other years, I haven't looked).  There you will find a parts diagram for "HEATED HANDLEBAR GRIPS".  You can order the OEM switch to fill the hole in your dash for about $40.

Next stop, dual-star.com for a set of their heated handlebar grips, about $30.  They are nicer than most heated grip kits because they do not require you to mount a resistor in the circuit.  Get the insulating heat shrink for the left side bar or cheap out and get it at the local electronic supply store for $0.50.  Don't use electrical tape to insulate the bar, it will get hot and lose grip when you use the heaters.  Now pick out whatever grips you like best.

The OEM heated grips come with a relay and some other wiring to plug into the stock harness.  I've installed the Dual Star grip kit on half a dozen bikes without a relay, they don't draw much current.  YMMV with the OEM dash switch, but if you have any trouble, a relay is five bucks at the local auto parts emporium.

Do make sure you put a fuse in line with the grips somewhere, or run them off a fused circuit as appropriate.  

Hope that helps the DIY types.