News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Wash

Started by EvilBetty, March 14, 2009, 08:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I've never been able to give my Tiger a proper washing, and the original owner lived on a very nasty gravel road.  The bike is caked with clay gravel dust under every unsealed orifice.

I've got the seat, tank and fairing off and want to clean on top of the valve cover, wiring behind the fairing, and around the ECM and battery cavity.

Is there anything in any of those area's I shouldn't get wet?  This would be a gentle hand and garden hose washing.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

TigerTrax

If you have the tank off.... piece of cake!

Wash it down with a 'hand mitt' and soapy water.
Rinse with low pressure hose.
Dry with a leaf blower.

Then spray with the same stuff you put on tires to make them shine.
Then using an old paint brush... dab around in all the crannies.....
wipe off any excess.

When it dries it will be a brilliant black... and stay that way for quite some time.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

EvilBetty

So no danger in getting any of those connections wet?

I was planning on using the air compressor blow gun to try some areas, though I'm sure a leaf blower would work hehe.  I have a can of S100 engine black I've been wanting to try :)

EvilBetty

Wow!  That toilet clean trick works like magic!  All except for a couple large rust spots on the header, the exhaust looks like new!

Not too bad for the rest of the bike considering it was the first time I have tried to clean it, and not knowing all the little nooks dirt likes to hide.  It took me about 5 hours, including putting everything back together (tank / fairing).  And I only missed cleaning the under fender and more of the radiator.  I didn't want to drag out the pressure washer today :)

Can't wait to find a new Lucifer Orange Fairing :(

Stretch

Save the pressure washer for your lawn mower.  Blasting highly-pressurized water up into electrical components and connectors will cause problems down the road.

EvilBetty

Absolutely.  I was only going to blast the engine parts a bit with it, and maybe the radiator from a safe distance to keep from doing fin damage.

Some of that crud in some of those engine bolt channels is going to be about impossible to get out otherwise.

Stretch

I use a one-inch wide paint brush with the bristles cut down to an inch long to stiffen them up a bit.

Suzuki Performance Motorcycle Wash is amazing stuff... cuts grease, oil, and mud without harming paint.

Part Number 99950-05034 (1-qt. spray bottle)
Part Number 99950-05035 (1-gallon jug)

TigerTrax

My first Tiger was a Volcanic Red 1998.

I bought it from a guy who never washed it....
got his grins riding MNPLS- Salt Lake - MNPLS ...

When I got it home I spent 17 hours with the tank and every body part off. Changed oil,coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, Air Filter, brake pads, added a fuel filter, new battery, new chain, and one big time cleaning.  I peeled fragments of tumbleweed from under the front fairing and
      debris behind every piece of plastic.

Believe it or not... that was the fastest & easiest those carb boots ever went together! )(#$%!~)#E+!})*$#&#(!&

Best thing you can do if you want to learn how things are done!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

Quote from: "TigerTrax"My first Tiger was a Volcanic Red 1998.

I bought it from a guy who never washed it....
got his grins riding MNPLS- Salt Lake - MNPLS ...

When I got it home I spent 17 hours with the tank and every body part off. Changed oil,coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, Air Filter, brake pads, added a fuel filter, new battery, new chain, and one big time cleaning.  I peeled fragments of tumbleweed from under the front fairing and
      debris behind every piece of plastic.

Believe it or not... that was the fastest & easiest those carb boots ever went together! )(#$%!~)#E+!})*$#&#(!&

Best thing you can do if you want to learn how things are done!

I do that with every newly-purchased vehicle.  I don't mind my own dirt, but I hates somebody else's dirt.

And it makes you One With Your Machine.  Kind of like the Vulcan Mind-Meld, but with soap suds.

haulin' daze

Think I've washed mine twice in the 3+ years I've had it.  :roll:

It's a combo of laziness/not knowing how to do it properly/rather ride it than clean it.

Mostly laziness though.  :?

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Stretch"I do that with every newly-purchased vehicle.  I don't mind my own dirt, but I hates somebody else's dirt.

And it makes you One With Your Machine.  Kind of like the Vulcan Mind-Meld, but with soap suds.

EXACTLY!