News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie Needs Opinions (Updated)

Started by SERadtke, March 21, 2009, 02:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukon

Quote from: "SERadtke""To determine the year of the bike look at the 8th digit just prior to the J immediately preceding the last six digits. Confused? Here's an example: 1J113755. This is the last 8 digits of the VIN. The first number listed (prior to the J) is the last digit of the year. In this case, 2001."

Mine is slightly different, the last nine digits are H9YJ098157
Sinci I don't have a number in the position the quote mentions I looked at the 9th position, if it is correct my bike was manufactured in 1999.

The tenth digit of the VIN determines the year of the bike.  The tenth digit of the above VIN is a "Y", thus the bike is a 2000 model year

Code Year Code Year Code Year Code Year
A = 1980 L = 1990 Y = 2000 A = 2010
B = 1981 M = 1991 1 = 2001 B = 2011
C = 1982 N = 1992 2 = 2002 C = 2012
D = 1983 P = 1993 3 = 2003 D = 2013
E = 1984 R = 1994 4 = 2004 E = 2014
F = 1985 S = 1995 5 = 2005 F = 2015
G = 1986 T= 1996 6 = 2006 G = 2016
H = 1987 V = 1997 7 = 2007 H = 2017
J = 1988 W = 1998 8 = 2008 J = 2018
K = 1989 X = 1999 9 = 2009 K = 2019

Bruincounselor

The 885I had the external alternator on the left side above the gear shift lever. The alternator (stator) went inside on the end of the crank on the 955i.

The electrical output is greater on the old style. I am willing to sacrifice some horsepower to stay warm on cold days.

Keepin my head above water......
Bruin\'

SERadtke

OK, it's definitely an 885i based on the alt. position and the "totally awesome oval Triumph logo on engine case".  I just got the VIN and it is an '01. Now to figure out the title deal......

Hey Bruin, I assume you're in the F/M area..... how are you holding out against the water?? I can't imagine what you folks are going through!!  FWIW, did you or anyone you know crash a black Tiger about 5-6 years ago? Apparently the bike I'm looking at came from that area.
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

EvilBetty

I really wish everyone who owned a Tiger was on this site.  I see all generations of tigers around now and then in my town.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Stretch

I saw a black Girly on a trailer in Texas about three weeks ago... I-35 between Texarkana and Dallas.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "SERadtke"Hey Bruin, I assume you're in the F/M area..... how are you holding out against the water??

I'm fine - details in another thread:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5820

QuoteI can't imagine what you folks are going through!!  FWIW, did you or anyone you know crash a black Tiger about 5-6 years ago? Apparently the bike I'm looking at came from that area.

I don't know anyone who crashed a tiger around here. You might try calling Ma's here - talk to Bob, he's the owner (and the only employee who's been around long enough to know) and will know if it was one of his - have the VIN and he can check his service records for ya.....

He is THE man around here for getting the scoop on Triumph.
Bruin\'

JasonS

Talked to Bob at Ma's yesterday, checking on delivery of my crash bars.... the floods have brought the town to a stand still, and not much is getting done... The shop is not threatened, and they hope they can gwet my bars to me before I have to leave!!!.. I hope so too!  But how can I even begin to be upset when they are going through potential serious hell!

Water is a very dangerous opponent!

Here's hoping for dry winds an no more rain!

Do the cold temps reduce snow met and therefore runoff??
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

TigerTrax

Must have been a former H-D rider with a Tiger....

Out for a ride.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

SERadtke

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Must have been a former H-D rider with a Tiger....

Out for a ride.

:lol:
Shawn
<((()))><

MikeFromMT

To the OP, if you decide to buy this bike here's what you do about the title.
Take the seller to the DMV with you (before you give him the money) both of you walk up to the counter and he says "I lost my title and I want to sell my bike to this guy" the fine bureaucrat behind the counter will verify the sellers ID and then will issue a duplicate title, they may be able to issue it to you, maybe.
Otherwise they'll send it to the seller and then you'll have to wait a few weeks to transfer it into your name.
Do NOT do the deal without a title, here's an idea, call the DMV and pose the question to them, maybe they've got an easier less complicated way of doing things these days,

:ImaPoser
Do I look like a man with a plan?

SERadtke

The current owner never transferred the title into his name. I've already been in contact with the DMV......boy talk about a "CF"!!  I'm not that worried about it, I'd be buying it cheap enough I could part it out and make money if I couldn't get a title. It's just that it would be a fun project!
Shawn
<((()))><

SERadtke

I am now the proud owner of a Girly!! Just got home with it in the trailer. Now the work begins.  So...... being an '01 with an 885i, is it a Girly? Will Steamer parts fit the engine? How about 955i parts?
Thanks to Triumph America, I was able to track down the original owner, I'm going to wait to call him until I find out exactly which form I need.
And Thanks you to all of you for your input.
Shawn
<((()))><

Stretch

Glad to hear you got a scooter.

Girlies are '99-2006... so, yep you got a Girly, an early 2001.

The 885i engine is specific unto itself...  completely different from the Steamer's carb'd 885 and the 955i as well.

No sweat though, parts are available.

What color did you get?

SERadtke

It's black right now, but the tank has been sanded down some.  So my plan is to paint all body pieces flat black (I can rattle can w/ the best of them!) for this year then paint it Roulette Green over the winter. Although it's not pretty right now, I'll post some pictures wnem I can find my camera cord.
Shawn
<((()))><