News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cooling system issues

Started by gazoo, March 22, 2009, 11:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazoo

Last fall I had a problem with the cooling system on my 05.  When I would be driving slow through local sidestreets or if I were to stop and leave the engine running, coolant would start spewing from the overflow.

I went to the local dealer and they said that there was a problem w/ my coolant reservoir cap not seating correctly, which meant the cooling system wasn't pressurizing correctly, making the fans not come on to keep the motor cool at low speeds.  I took them at their word, and they replaced the reservoir cap.  I didn't do much riding after that, and never saw the problem again.

Well, today the same thing happened.  The reservoir was about halfway between MIN and MAX when I started.  I stopped for a few minutes and left the bike running and it started spewing coolant, as the level was above the MAX line.  The temp gauge was about 2/3 of the way towards the top, but still in the OK range.  Got back on the road, and the temp came down and no more coolant problem.

Pulled back in the garage at home and left it idle - same thing.  Shut the bike off and no fans.  The fan fuse is OK.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this problem, or if you have any ideas.  Maybe just a disconnected wire going to the fans (haven't checked this yet)?  Thermostat?  Something else?

Stretch

Something to check on...

There have been reports here of the plastic elbows going into the expansion tank cracking, allowing coolant to escape instead of being directed into the expansion tank.  Over time, the bike loses enough coolant out of the whole system that there isn't enough to properly cool the bike, and it overheats.

I believe Swamper 650 had this problem on a trip sometime last year.

The fix (if that is indeed the problem) is to buy a couple barbed brass elbows at Lowe's / Home Depot and discard the plastic factory items...

Quote from: "swamper650"In conversation with a fellow local Tiger rider, discoverd his elbow failed while on the road in Murphy a year ago. I wanted to affect a permanent solution.  Have found a brass fitting to replace the failure prone 90 degree elbow in the Girly's coolant recovery. I was rooting around at my local Home Depot. In the plumbing section I discovered  a Qestpex 3/8 barbed brass elbow, part # 084169484406, priced at $1.59. Works a treat and will never fail.

gazoo

Thanks Stretch, I'll check the elbows.

But would that explain why the fans wouldn't be on if the engine was hot?

I'm not an engine guy, but I'd think the fans should run if the engine temp was hot.  I'm pretty sure it did that in the past, even on 60 degree days like today when its been running for a while.

Stretch

The fan kicks on when the coolant temperature sensor (in the thermostat housing) detects the coolant rising above 200˚ or so (I'm guessing as to the actual temperature, but you get the idea).  If the coolant level was low enough, there wouldn't be enough fluid to cover (and heat) the sensor, so the fan wouldn't switch on.

Bear in mind that once the elbows are replaced (if that's what the problem is), you're going to have to remove the fuel tank and refill / bleed the cooling system.  It's not hard if you spin wrenches a bit, just time consuming.

Do you have a shop manual?

gazoo

Makes sense to me now that you've explained it to me - thanks!  Its basically what the dealership was saying was happening when I took it to them last fall.

I don't mind wrenching, but I don't like just digging into things that I've either never done (or seen done) before, or that I don't have good documentation on.  I see a shop manual in the very near future   :D

Kooba

Overflow hose from coolant resevoir stuck blocked between frame and airbox.Check all hoses from coolant tank are not pinched or blocked.It happened on my '06 Tiger.Elbows were also cracked from being under pressure from coolant unable to escape.
Current bike: 2006 Triumph Tiger (Black)
First bike: 1974 Honda XL 100
Other bike: 1978 Kawasaki Z650

zaskarson

I had the very same symptoms and I found I had pinched the tube from the over flow box when I had reinstalled the fairing after doing some work.  I readjusted the position of the tube and the problem went away.

Zas

gazoo

Thanks.  I'll check for the pinched tubes as well, when I can get a chance.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Stretch"The fan kicks on when the coolant temperature sensor (in the thermostat housing) detects the coolant rising above 200˚ or so (I'm guessing as to the actual temperature, but you get the idea)....  

When I peered into my ECU using the OBD2 software I bought recently, the temp sensor was set to "fan on = 103degC : fan off = 102 degC"

Can't remember what that is in deg F though...  :roll:

Edit: I just looked it up,  it's 215.6 and 217.4.   Does that tie in with the manual???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

twentyfiftyoil

Hi all. Just bought a Tiger 2005, and just joined ya site.

:? I bought it last week needing a littlte work, nothing to heavy but when I picked it up I rode 200 miles. In traffic it was getting warm, but OK on the main roads. Strangely 10 miles from the end of my journey it overheated.
Got it home and drained coolant, but I estimate only about 1 litre came out. Filled it up with fresh mixture and got about 1.8 litres in. After reading forums I have ordered a new Rad Cap and plan to fit it when it come Hopfully Tomorrow then ill try it out. Since then a friend of mine who races a kwak says it sounds like a part blocked rad. I cant believe there is still 1 litre left in the block. I did drain the block through the block drain plug. Watch this space.
05 Blue Tiger, a couple o T140,s

HappyMan

Welcome 2050.  I've got nothin' to add but wanted to at least welcome you to the site.  Loads of Tiger wisdom here.  Keep an eye on the site.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"When I peered into my ECU using the OBD2 software I bought recently, the temp sensor was set to "fan on = 103degC : fan off = 102 degC"

Can't remember what that is in deg F though...  :roll:

Edit: I just looked it up,  it's 215.6 and 217.4.   Does that tie in with the manual???

If it's in the manual, I can't find it.  I just pulled 200˚F out of the air to use as an example.  Thanks for posting the actual Fan On / Off values.

gazoo

OK, got off my rear and got around to checking things out...

Think this could be the issue???   :shock:

Seems to me that could cause pressure problems in the coolant system!

This is the fitting that has the tube into the coolant tank.  Anyone know if they make them in metal instead of plastic, like they did for the fuel tank fittings?

And has anyone else seen this problem?

HappyMan

Someone here will post in on this.  There is a brass fitting I think from Menards or Home Depot or something??  I'll see if I can find it.

HappyMan

Here you go.

Coolant Expansion Tube Elbows

swamper650 wrote:
In conversation with a fellow local Tiger rider, discoverd his elbow failed while on the road in Murphy a year ago. I wanted to affect a permanent solution. Have found a brass fitting to replace the failure prone 90 degree elbow in the Girly's coolant recovery. I was rooting around at my local Home Depot. In the plumbing section I discovered a Qestpex 3/8 barbed brass elbow, part # 084169484406, priced at $1.59. Works a treat and will never fail.