News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pre air filter Mod

Started by sanjoh, March 26, 2009, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjoh

Always been surprised by what shows up between the air filter and the carbs when I clean the airbox.  Tried all sorts of stuff from new stock filter (yes paper). to greasing the gaps to stop dust infiltration.  IMO the airbox design is a POS.

Latest change around 4k miles ago was to add a K&N (yep I said it).  The airbox is the cleanest I've seen it.  I think the gasket on the K&N is superior to the stocker. I decided to add a prefilter.

The filter basket top gasket was removed to avoid damage, prolly a $50 triumph part!

Step One - Remove the baffle
A dremel worked great. Make sure and leave the large flange along the edge of the baffle.  This is what the filter will be mounted to and sealed against.

Step Two - Make a template

Step Three - Choose your filter material, cut to size
I used the coarse filter from a Uni

Step Four - Choose your backing, cut to size
Lowe's provided the finest aluminum gutter guard

Step Five - Attach filter to the backing
I used black hitemp silicone.

Step Six - Mount filter assembly

Finished - Don't forget to oil the filter
Nice "seal"

Prefilter can be removed from stock opening. Will report on how it runs after she's back together.

Also punched a hole in front for more air
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

Stretch

You clever devil.

Good work.

Chris Canning

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... is+canning

I've been running this mod for what? 4 years,it pulls a 19t sprocket just like a stocker.

sanjoh

[quote="Chris Canning"I've been running this mod for what? 4 years,it pulls a 19t sprocket just like a stocker.[/quote]

Great, any long term issues? Did you add a prefilter?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

Chris Canning

No,i don't see the point of a K+N and then strangle it with another filter,defeats the object of the excerise,but i chose to leave the snorkel on,i had some reservations about the fueling and if the motor might run lean,but it's been fine even on thousand mile days.

sanjoh

Come on over and ride a couple thousand miles of dirt (limestone dust is nasty) and you'll understand the purpose of the mod.

Not looking for any extra power um +100hp in the dirt is kinda overkill and more than adequate for the street.

Did the baffle removal affect your gas mileage?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

Chris Canning

If dust is a problem then you must be crazy useing a K+N,stick with a stock filter.

Didn't affect mileage at all,slight power band at 5/6 thousand were it picks up a lot quicker.

EvilBetty

I did notice my new stock filter has a MUCH better seal than the old stock filter.  I had to grease it to get it seated.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

sanjoh

Quote from: "Chris Canning"If dust is a problem then you must be crazy useing a K+N,stick with a stock filter.

The K&N is a huge improvement over stock based on my last 4k miles, much of it dirt. Much less dust in the airbox.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

DRB Imagery

Quote from: "sanjoh"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"If dust is a problem then you must be crazy useing a K+N,stick with a stock filter.

The K&N is a huge improvement over stock based on my last 4k miles, much of it dirt. Much less dust in the airbox.

Is that because most of went into the engine??,,,sorry had to,,lol

sanjoh

Quote from: "DRB Imagery"sorry had to,,lol

You should be sorry! What a great fourth post :Topes

Welcome to the forum :pottytrain2
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

blacktiger

+1 on this. In dusty conditions the stock filter or a foam http://www.bikehps.com/pipercross/ filter will be far better than a K&N.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

DRB Imagery

Quote from: "sanjoh"
Quote from: "DRB Imagery"sorry had to,,lol

You should be sorry! What a great fourth post :Topes

Welcome to the forum :pottytrain2

So glad you have a keen sense of humor,,,,,sheeeesh. I didnt realize there was a prerequisite number of serious posts before one injected a bit of humor.

EvilBetty

Difference between the filter that was in the bike, an the new one (orange)

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

Ermmm, so other than being green instead of the colour of all proper Tigers (what colour do silver or black Tigers use? :wink: ) it differs how?   :icon_scratch
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...