News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel in the airbox

Started by otptiger, April 23, 2009, 12:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otptiger

Hello again, I just rebuilt the mikunis in my 96 tiger and a new problem has come about. during the first start up when I turned on the fuel after a bit b4 starting I noticed fuel seeping from the air box. When started the bike is running like never b4. very very strong. Do you think I have a float issue? will it heal its self?

Thanks
Brian waiting to ride like hell

Mustang

sounds like a stuck float needle
sometimes they cure themselves
but I bet you have gas mixed in the crankcase oil too !
need to fix the stuck float or needle and change the oil .

otptiger

Well I suppose I need to get as good as all of you guys at removing the carbs.
I have to say that thing ran like a raped ape!  I rode all last year thinking that it had no low end grunt. But this thing scares me now. HAaaaa
Brian

97tiger885

There is another possibility.  A few months back I noticed my '97 was puking gas from the left side around the air box.  I figured stuck floats and waited for it to fix itself.  It stopped, started, stopped, started...I began turning off the tap about 2/3 of a mile from home thinking I would starve the miscreant into submission.  That didn't work.  Now, I figured I had two problems, stuck floats and a broken tap valve, or it was something else.  Thinking about it, I realized it was another self-inflicted problem.  I was (over)filling the gas tank about 1 mile from home, riding home and then putting it on the side stand.  The (over)lean was causing gas to enter the overflow and because I had removed the overflow tube the gas was running across the engine, right to left, and dripping off just about where the air box is located.  My previously clean driveway now has huge spots all over it.  I stopped overfilling the tank when I know I will be stopping in a short distance and the puking has ceased.

Jomama

Sorry to hijack, but I suddenly have a similar prob after taking the bike apart to clean the air filter, which I found out was a K&N.   Cleaned, re-oiled and running again.

Now its leaking what appears to be the red oil out of the airbox seam while on its sidestand..  ?  Anyone else see that happen when you re-oil it?
1996 Tiger
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab Longbed SR5
**sold** /cry...  1993 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser

Mustang

Quote from: "Jomama"Sorry to hijack, but I suddenly have a similar prob after taking the bike apart to clean the air filter, which I found out was a K&N.   Cleaned, re-oiled and running again.

Now its leaking what appears to be the red oil out of the airbox seam while on its sidestand..  ?  Anyone else see that happen when you re-oil it?
only when you over oil them  :ImaPoser
It will stop dripping oil soon , but it makes a mess

otptiger

Mustang and everyone else that has helped me with the carb rebuild.
I picked uo the orings from mcmaster and ripped the babies down and put them back on in an hour.
This bike has never ran this stout.

Thanks Again All.
Brian