News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Burning oil

Started by simono, April 26, 2009, 09:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

And with the stick screwed all the way in.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Stretch"And with the stick screwed all the way in.

Stick? The 885's have a window to the inside - pop it on the stand and take a quick look. No muss, no fuss, and you can check it in a sandstorm  8)
Bruin\'

Stretch

I would prefer a sight window myself.

EvilBetty

Too tired, and working on too many bikes.   :oops:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I can't believe I dumped a quart of oil into the bike before confirming the position the bike needs to be in when checked.  Looks like I'm siphoning tonight!

Stress levels have been high around here.  I ride to blast away some of that.  When I thought my stress outlet was broken I just about lost it!   :shock:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

diggerT

My 03 uses oil at the same rate whether semi or fully synthetic. A mechanic pal checked it over for breather problems etc and reckons it's glazed bores through not running in well. It's now on 11,000 miles. He told me fully synthetic is a waste of money unless you are racing the bike as it never gets up to the proper temperature if you are not using it decent distances each day. I just live with it now and use semi.

DiggerT

TigerTrax

Evil...
You may be able to get a 'suction bulb' and remove some of that oil right at the fill neck.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

EvilBetty

Well I siphoned almost a quart of oil out of the bike and checked it again standing... right where it should be...  :oops:

For future reference, is it OK to check it on the center stand, or does it need to be sitting upright on the wheels?  It was windy Saturday and I had the kickstand shimmed up, almost blew over...  

:roll:

Stretch

Quote from: "EvilBetty"For future reference, is it OK to check it on the center stand, or does it need to be sitting upright on the wheels?  

Not on the centerstand.  Both wheels should be on level ground, and the bike upright (balanced).

The level is read after having screwed the dipstick all the way in.

Stretch

Quote from: "EvilBetty"For future reference, is it OK to check it on the center stand, or does it need to be sitting upright on the wheels?  

Not on the centerstand.  Both wheels should be on level ground, and the bike upright (balanced).

(heavy Scottish brogue...)  Think with yerr dipstick, Jimmy!

This guy has me in stitches...

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Stretch"

Ok that's what I did, was just hoping for a short cut for future use.  Do you guys have a trick for this.  It's kind of fun by yourself trying to hold the bike up right, pull the stick, wipe it, re-insert, screw in, pull back out and check, all while balancing the bike!

Stretch

Pull the stick and wipe it, then squat down on the right side of the bike and balance the bike while holding the right grip with your right hand.  Use your left hand to install and remove the dipstick while holding the bike balanced with your right.

EvilBetty

Kinda what I was thinking... seems a risky design to check oil level!

John Stenhouse

885s Have a sight glass, always thought they were rubbish til I tried to dip the oil on my own on the 955  :lol:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

M.T.

I have a little bit different process that I feel is a little safer- (All of this is done while standing on the right side of he bike)

I leave the bike on the kickstand, remove the dipstick and wipe off. Reinsert the dipstick.

Then tip the bike back up to upright and hold for just a second or two to let the oil level stabilize.

Then lean back over onto the kickstand.  Remove the dipstick and check the level.  Simple!

There is no way I would try to hold the bike upright while I f**k around with that dipstick. I'm not nearly that talented!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

Stretch

Quote from: "M.T."I leave the bike on the kickstand, remove the dipstick and wipe off. Reinsert the dipstick.

Then tip the bike back up to upright and hold for just a second or two to let the oil level stabilize.

Then lean back over onto the kickstand.  Remove the dipstick and check the level.  Simple!

I tried that, but got a higher reading... the oil sloshes to the dipstick side of the case, making too high a mark on the stick.