News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition switch loose

Started by AUtiger, April 29, 2009, 01:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUtiger

Any of you Girly owners have a loose ignition switch? Mine is flopping around like a drunk sorority girl.  It appears to be held in place by 2 screws, but with the fairing in place I cannot tell what kind of head they have on them. By feel, it feels slotted like a flathead screw. Looks like I will have to move my faring to get at them. Anybody else had this issue?

Mustang

they are tamper proof screws that are a one time only deal
They screw in normally and when the correct torque is reached the  heads shear off , thus preventing anyone from tampering with the ignition .

You definitely have to start by getting the body work out of the way .
Then get the old screws out however you find it possible to do so and then replace with new screws

TigerTrax

While you have that ignition switch out....
look closely at the internal wiring for over heating and solder joints for cracks and looseness ( is that a word ? ).

I would probably pack a little dielectric grease around the connections
as an extra precaution.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

HockleyBoy

I had the same problem, the old screws came out fairly easily as they had worked their way out far enough for me to get a grip on the heads.
I just replaced them with standard bolts from the local autostore and haven't had any problem since.

If I remember rightly I managed to change them without removing the front fairing etc but I could be wrong.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

AUtiger

Thanks guys, I tried to get a good look at them with a mirror previously and they did feel weird. Maybe that explains why my flathead screwdriver never could find a slot!

TRKTEK

Quote from: "Mustang"they are tamper proof screws that are a one time only deal
They screw in normally and when the correct torque is reached the  heads shear off , thus preventing anyone from tampering with the ignition .

You definitely have to start by getting the body work out of the way .
Then get the old screws out however you find it possible to do so and then replace with new screws

I am at the "get the old screws out" stage (this should be fun!)...
My question is has anyone had the problem of ignition switch in the on position and having to push down on the key to make contact? The switch itself looks difficult to dismantle or should I just suck it up and replace it?
I limped home yesterday by holding the key in with a tie wrap...

Thank you for your input...

Steve
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Mustang

I would suck it up and replace the switch . You know it will come back and bite you in the ass if you don't.

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

EvilBetty

Mine was replaced under warranty by the original owner for the same problem.  It stinks because now I have yet another key for the bike (ignition, tank, panniers/mounts, and trunk).
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

TRKTEK

I will soon be in the "many keys to operate this thing" club as the ignition switch assembly is $225.00 cdn and the entire lockset is over $500.00 cdn.  A week's wait giving me time to figure out how to get those &%$^ing tamper proof screws out! :evil:    :D

John Kenneth Galbraith

Mustang

Quote from: "TRKTEK"I will soon be in the "many keys to operate this thing" club as the ignition switch assembly is $225.00 cdn and the entire lockset is over $500.00 cdn.  A week's wait giving me time to figure out how to get those &%$^ing tamper proof screws out! :evil:    :D

Not what you want to hear but ........
the easiest  way to access the screws to get them out is to remove the top steering clamp which is a chore in itself . But look at the bright side you will be only one big nut away from being able to remove the entire triple tree and grease the bearings in the head stock .

bush2beach

On a trip around Tasmania both my 02 and a mates 06 tigers ignition switches came loose. seems to be more common then not, can anyone tell me the best way to fix?

Yukon

My 06 came loose while it was still under warranty.  The bolts had worked their way out enough that they could be turned out very easily.  The dealer replaced them with regular bolts ands the job only took about 30 minutes.  It's been 3 years and I have not had a problem with it since it was repaired.

bush2beach

got the front off and dropped out the head lights, missing one tamper screw. can anyone tell me the size of the bolt. pain in the back.... just trying different sizes. if i knew the size job done!

TRKTEK

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "TRKTEK"I will soon be in the "many keys to operate this thing" club as the ignition switch assembly is $225.00 cdn and the entire lockset is over $500.00 cdn.  A week's wait giving me time to figure out how to get those &%$^ing tamper proof screws out! :evil:    :D

Not what you want to hear but ........
the easiest  way to access the screws to get them out is to remove the top steering clamp which is a chore in itself . But look at the bright side you will be only one big nut away from being able to remove the entire triple tree and grease the bearings in the head stock .

I got there already, just recieved the new switch assembly today...looks as though I'll have to destroy the old switch to separate it from the top clamp...wish me luck, I'm going in.... :D

John Kenneth Galbraith