News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Input on screens

Started by skoron, April 29, 2009, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skoron

Loaded question I know.  Like picking your favourite child.

Second summer on my 06 Tiger and I think I'm going to put on a shorter sport screen for summer.  But, I would like something for longer rides and the colder temps in winter.  I missed the Cee Bailey on Ebay last night (fell asleep watching Deadliest Catch!).  Had planned that with the mirror extenders but the local shop says they had poor feedback from two customers with the Cee Bailey (turbulence) on Tigers.  I have looked at the MRA vario (see one for sale in UK on Ebay) but seems geared to smooth flow rather then better coverage.  Not looking for a barn door but is it hit and miss?  I'm 5'11" so looking for Joe Average feedback .

Thanks, Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

Stretch

I went with the MRA Vario because it was much smoother around the helmet than any of the other 6 shields I've tried.

The big Cee Bailey does make some pretty horrendous turbulence, but it does offer good protection.  At some time in the future, I'm going to build an airfoil for it, using the Vario attachment hardware.  That will give me a nice big touring screen with the smoothness of the Vario and Laminar Lip.

M.T.

I also opted for the MRA Vario.  I deal with the rain a lot and operated on the
principle that if the wind misses me, the rain probably will too!

I have been really happy with the Vario-  I typically shorten it to it's lowest setting for riding around in the city or any fire roads that I might find, then crank it up towards the top to do any long highway riding.  That spoiler really does make a difference-  with it up almost as high as it will go I seem to get this perfect little bubble that takes the buffeting away.

I should admit here, though, that the vario is the only aftermarket screen I have tried, so I really can't make a definitive comparison.

Good luck!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

paulie

when its warm, the sport screen is my favorite, puts the wind right in your chest. i also like it because it sort of forces the wind into the chest/shoulder vents of my jacket.. niiice.

thats too much wind in the cold though.. i'm currently using the cee bailey #2 for cooler temps, but i'm not a huge fan. it does keep the wind off you fairly well, but as others stated, it creates a fair bit of turbulence around the helmet which forces my head to bob around somewhat. i will probably get a MRA Vario myself at some point, but for now I just only ride when temps are +40 degress F :)
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Tom Herold

I've been running a Cee Baily #2/+4" and added the MRA vario air foil to it for fine adjustment as needed.

In stock form the CB#2 created a lot of buffeting.

The questions are endless, but you have to take a look at how your bike's set-up and how your body relates to it.

Example:  I'm 5'10" tall and a pretty slender 175lbs. With the stock Triumph seat on the bike, the CB#2 put the air flow just over the top of my helmet, and around my shoulders.

With my Corbin seat on, the air flow smacks me right in the face and creates a lot of buffeting. I added the air foil and with it at max height the air flow is just over my head again. In cooler weather it's a big bonus. In warmer weather, the air foil is set at it's lowest point and I get plenty of air pushed into my mesh jacket and helmet vents. The cost is a bit more buffeting.  For commuting and shorter runs I don't mind and can live with it.

For long distance runs on super-slab, I know I'm going to a taller screen. Probably something like the CB#2 in 8" over stock based on what others on here have told me regarding their experiences with it.

Unfortunately, it's a trial and error until you find the right combination for you, but everyone's input here is a good place to start!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

AUtiger

I like my largest Ceebaileys you can buy, but will experiment in the future. I have pics on here you can search and look at.

HappyMan

I run the Vario and the Sport.  They make a great pair and the Vario is perfect for me.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Bruincounselor

I had the CB #2 +8 and it was the most awful buffeting I could imagine. My head bounced around like a helmet tossed into the clothes drier on fluff. I got rid of it after less then 1 season. I say save your money and try this first:

I cut the stock windscreen down so it looks a lot like the sport screen. I'm living in a clean stream of air that hits me in the upper chest. With a heated vest and grips I'm good to well below freezing all day.
Bruin\'

matttys

MRA Vario is the best I've found on any dual sport bike I've ridden.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

blacktiger

I've tried the sports screen and whilst it gets rid of all the turbulence it was a bit too short for me at 5'11" and I was having to brace my head against the wind pressure  which causes neck ache.
I've also tried the Ceebaileys +4 and it was better than standard but it just wasn't good enough because it still gave some turbulence. So, I've now cut down the Ceebaileys so that it's a couple of inches taller than the sports screen and it keeps my head in a neutral air flow and allows me to sit at any speed in comfort. The only down side is that it's still noisy.

Another mod I've made is to fill in the the area of the fairing where the handlebars push into at full lock. If you look at the photo a few posts ago you'll see that Ceebaileys also fills that area. It does make a difference because I found that it's wind coming from that area that creates a lot of the noise.

I found that lower is better for this Tiger.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Tiger-G

I understand everyone's frustrations with screens, and it really is a personal thing.

I tried the MRA Vario (I'm 6' 01'') and it didn't work for me. In fact I tried every screen you could imagine and none of them worked, so I made my own:

It's a Triumph tall screen mated to a home made spoiler with MRA Vario hinges. It works 100% with no buffeting.

I can't impress on you how well this works after 6,000 miles with it on I can ride at 80 - 100mph all day with no wind pressure or buffeting to the head area. And when I overtake a lorry, it's the lorry that nearly gets blown off the road not me, it's deflecting that much air  :D

A standard MRA Vario just isn't high enough to deflect any air.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

EvilBetty

Anybody tried doing that to a Cee Baily?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD