News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

If you could keep two of somethings.... what would you keep

Started by coachgeo, April 30, 2009, 06:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachgeo

moving this out of classifieds since it's a discussion

Quote from: "TigerTrax"
Quote from: "coachgeo"... maybe you guys can answer this one.  Since I will have two sets of rims.... should I keep a set so I can put a set off off road tires on one and general purpose tires on the other set?

I see that some riders on adventure trips carry spare tires, or cary set of tires for road trip and set for offroad. Have not see anyone carry wheels and tires.  If ad the rimes.. would you still carry just the tire due to desire to keep weight low (or some other reason) or???

If I should keep a set of rims..... should I keep sprocket and brake parts already mounted to it so I do not have to swap so much out to change tires?
Youu could also tow a camper in case it rains; Perhaps a spare engine just in case yours blows......

There are a lot of 'what ifs'... I think the best is simply take care of your bike, use good sense when working on the bike, know what works in a pinch.

Unless you are out in the 'boonies' .... carry your credit card, cell phone, flashlight, tent, sleeping bag, wet & warm clothing, 2 tie down straps, and change of undies! .... oh ..... toilet paper!
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

coachgeo

Sorry for not gettign my question across correctly.  Im not thinking so much about on the road repair spares.  

In a PM with Mustang he mentioned to me that I probably do not need to keep anything in particular when it comes to needed spares. Especially since I will not be using a tiger engine.

So now Im asking about convinence more than I am about spare for part replacement when the wear out.

For example in pics of folk on dual sports doing long journies you often see them carying two tires extra. Not sure if they are spares or if they are to change to a different terrain tire for part of the journey.  They look to be for changing back and forth between a mixed use tire and a more aggressive offroad tire.  

Since I will have rims available, would it be wise to go ahead and mount a set of different tread tires to these rims and carry that or is that a waste of time with all things considered.  

Same question for weekend riding. In my case, bike will get daily riding as a 60 mile commuter thus will have  tires mounted with Highway commuting in mind.  Is the process of  dismounting and remounting tires for the rare weekends when I get to do more trail/fireroad riding a PITA enough thing to warrent keeping a set already mounted on seperate rims waiting to just get bolted up?

If its wiser to keep the rims with another set of tires mounted up ready to go.... what else is attached to that rim that I should keep to make it smooth swap. Brake disk? sprocket?  

If you had a spare bike to part out what would you keep when thinking along these lines and for parts to keep in the garage?

I will have two Steamers but need to part out one "wisely". Just dont want to sell something I find I should have kept that's all.

matttys

I'd just carry spare tubes and have a means of getting the tires off.  Beyond that, carrying spare wheels/tires is a heavy, cumbersome task that is hardly ever worth it in the end.  If you were traveling to Mongolia maybe you would want to carry a spare rear tire.  Generally having tire issues can be solved by having spare tubes (like on the Tiger) and you can generally see your tire wearing out in enough time to make arrangements for a new tire.  

You could keep an extra set of tires/rims at home, but I've decided I'm never really going to dual sport the Tiger.  Too heavy and the engine doesn't really like to lug; not to mention going slow makes my beast get hot.  I will save the dual sporting for my DR350 or F650 Dakar.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Mustang

think about what you want .................
now face the reality of what you actually have . :shock: neither bike is actually in your garage yet , so you have no idea what is good or bad yet on the bikes .

You want a bike that can be a daily runner of 60 miles a day commuting
you want to stick a deisel engine in , ( not what I would do )
but at least you don't have to decide what to keep for at least half of the spares . your dealing with a bike (this is the reality part )that has been out of production for the past 11 years , I would keep all the spares for the rolling chassis I could and sell nothing .
Most everything is still available for them from either a dealer or bike bandit , but is very expensive
or you keep what you have and have a full set of spares for cheap .

coachgeo

Quote from: "matttys"I'd just carry spare tubes and have a means of getting the tires off.  Beyond that, carrying spare wheels/tires is a heavy, cumbersome task that is hardly ever worth it in the end.....  
great points
QuoteYou could keep an extra set of tires/rims at home, but I've decided I'm never really going to dual sport the Tiger.  Too heavy and the engine doesn't really like to...  I will save the dual sporting for my DR350 or F650 Dakar.
I wont have the luxery of more than one bike. Will also not be using a Tiger engine.  Will have to see about what the engine wont like.

Ive added a note to the opening post to clarify more about the bike itself.

coachgeo

Quote from: "Mustang",,,, , I would keep all the spares for it I could and sell nothing .
Most everything is still available for them from either a dealer or bike bandit , but is very expensive
or you keep what you have and have a full set of spares for cheap .
thanx Mustang.  This responce is coming across nearly opposit to previous discussion we had in PM.... well more than likely I missunderstood what you wrote then.

Glad I brought this topic back up again or I would have gone down the wrong path

oxnsox

Coach...   The folks hiking tires round on their tours are usually doing this for one of two reasons...  Either they've researched ahead and found that where they are touring there is little or no possibility of getting replacement rubber, so they carry it with them (remember these people are traveling in other countries... and places even further away than that!!)....   Or their own research and anxieties means they travel with all these extra things that they might need, because they don't want to take the time on their journey to solve the problems that might make the trip into an adventure.
Your biggest issue right now is shoehorning an oil burner into space thats not designed for it....  and thats a worthy challange in itself!!!
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

coachgeo

Quote from: "oxnsox"Coach...   The folks hiking tires round on their tours are usually doing this for .....

Your biggest issue right now is shoehorning an oil burner into space thats not designed for it....  and thats a worthy challange in itself!!!
Thanx that makes since about the lugging of tires around.

Luckly someone before me has shoe horned in a slightly larger in physical size diesel than what I will be using already. They did it  very successfully so I have a little of something to go by.

TigerTrax

I know you are trying to ride 'prepared' ... but I think you should look at it this way.
1. Alternator and Sprag Clutch are your major concern.
    1. Keep a full charge on your battery.
    2. Keep a mindful ear on 'rattling' after start-up.
** If your sprag goes .... You don't have enough parts or tools with you!
     If your alternator starts making noise.... it won't stop you dead. You
     can make it to a dealer/home/parts store.

Believe it or not... the Triumph motor and running gear are very relieable.

I think Mustang will concur: Get your bike set up and it will be very reliable if you pay attention to it. Hear something out of the ordinary...
check it out.

They are good bikes.... don't let it 'anchor you down'.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

coachgeo

Quote from: "TigerTrax"I know you are trying to ride 'prepared' ... but I think you should look at it this way.
1. Alternator and Sprag Clutch are your major concern..........
TigerTrax you keep missing that there will be no Sprag cluch and no DAR potential to occur.  Not using a Triumph engine.  I know its a great engine.  Just want to use a diesel lump to get better milage, and be unique.

Will be using a Turbo charged 3cyl 950cc diesel Diahatsu/Briggs engine.

Granted this will mean a whole new set of uncharted problems that might go wrong.

The Kurgan

Quote from: "coachgeo"Will be using a Turbo charged 3cyl 950cc diesel Diahatsu/Briggs engine.
Granted this will mean a whole new set of uncharted problems that might go wrong.

Wow, that will be one HEAVY lump. One uncharted problem will be getting used to riding around on a bike that will rival a Sherman tank in terms of weight.

Cool idea though. I will be eager to see pics/write-up of the conversion process!  :D
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

TigerTrax

Sorry...

In that case....

the 2 things I would keep.....
1. Cell Phone.
2. AAA Gold Card ( covers motorcycles too )
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Dr. Mordo

Now that I think about it, I guess that everything you pull out  to insert the diesel is what you can sell from both bikes - that stuff is exactly what you won't need.  

So, engine and engine accessories, mounting hardware, brake/clutch lever, possibly the radiator and fan, clutch and throttle cables, electronic brain, maybe the wiring harness - these are things you won't need and can sell from both bikes.  

I personally would probly keep everything else, but I am a packrat.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

coachgeo

Quote from: "The Kurgan"...Wow, that will be one HEAVY lump. One uncharted problem will be getting used to riding around on a bike that will rival a Sherman tank in terms of weight.

Cool idea though. I will be eager to see pics/write-up of the conversion process!  :D
so far best I have figured is OEM Tiger engine is around 155+lbs dry weight.  The Briggs is 196 lb dry weight.

Dr. Mordo

Where'd you get that 155 figure?  I didn't realize it weighed that much.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger