News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical problems

Started by Kampies, May 03, 2009, 12:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kampies

Can someone help me with the electrical schematic layout of a 2003 Tiger.

Bike just died on me. The engine, my displays, speedometer and rev counter just cut out. Lights, indicators and the horn and stuff still works fine.

I assume its a electrical problem and need the layout to track the problem or can someone tell me what to look for?

Regards,

Kampies

Stretch

Welp, start off by checking all the fuses in the fuse box (gray plastic box under the seat) and the master fuse on the left side of the battery box.  The master fuse controls everything, so if it were blown, you'd get no juice anywhere, but check it anyway to make sure the connections are clean.  It is plausible that bad connections in the main fuse could prevent sufficient current to flow everywhere.

Check your battery connections, ensuring they are clean and tight.

Did the engine just die while riding, or did it simply not restart?

Get your hands on a multimeter and test the battery voltage.  It ought to be 11.8 Volts DC or so to start the bike.  12.6 VDC is optimum.

If you can get the bike started, check the voltage across the battery terminal with the engine running.  You should see at least 12.6 VDC at idle, with 13.5 VDC or more at cruising RPM (4000 or so).

If you jump-start the bike, make sure the car's engine isn't running... too much juice that way.  The amber Check Engine Light will come on after you jump-start it.  'S okay.

Here are crappy photos of the electrical schematic from my Triumph manual...

Kampies

Stretch! Thanks again for your input!

Bike died while riding. I did check all the fuses. Only after reading your reply i remembered the dam relays.

It was full of mud and dust and shit. Cleaned of all the connections and Bob is my uncle.

Thanks again buddy!

Stretch