News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lost headlights in rain

Started by wvmike, May 06, 2009, 11:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmike

But that's not all :roll: They will come on when you pull in the clutch.I put the bike in N,and they came on as long as I am sitting still with the clutch out :?: As soon as I put it in gear and let out on the clutch,they go out.This was about 40 miles into a deluge.So,is the problem in the clutch switch or down on the kickstand switch? Electrical not I  :oops:

Thanks in advance

Mike
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

Stretch

I don't think people are ignoring you, it's just that this is quite a quandary.

I once had a Honda that would lose its high-beams when the switch got wet.

But yours almost sounds like a ground fault... like the headlights weren't getting a ground, so they back-fed into another circuit to get to ground.  Except that the headlight circuit isn't that closely connected to the Neutral and Clutch switch circuits.

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

flux

Ya got ME stumped, I have no idea when it comes to electrical gremlins.   :oops:

Mustang

Mike
I would be looking at the relay for the sidestand switch , my bet is it is full of water .
The side stand relay controls GROUND to the clutch switch or the sidestand switch

wvmike

Hi Ya Ken  :wave
How's the great White north? Where is the relay itself? Down low by the kickstand or elsewhere.Gettin ready to tear into this problem in a couple minutes.I don't have a shop manual  :BangHead .My bad.This is really the only problem with this bike I've ever had.I'm not very electrical savey but I can't see this being anything but something grounded out and not burned out  :icon_scratch  ( I hope)

Mike
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S

Mustang

I have no idea on the FI bikes where the relay is ..............on a steamer it is under the seat in the front , follow the wires from the side stand switch they will lead you to the relay

EvilBetty

It's either there or behind the fairing on the left side. (Sorry don't have my service manual here)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

wvmike

Quote from: "Mustang"I have no idea on the FI bikes where the relay is ..............on a steamer it is under the seat in the front , follow the wires from the side stand switch they will lead you to the relay

I was being lazy and trying to get out of disassembling peices and parts  :lol:

Something came up and now will have to wait till first thing in the mornin.I'll let you folks know what I find

Mike
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S

wvmike

Couldn't find any smokin gun.Everything was soaked.Some of the electrical connections had minimal electrical grease on the connections.It was a torrential downpour for about 45 minutes.I'm pretty sure everything was ok till I stopped for about 5 minutes to defog and clean the inside of my visor.My guess is this is when the water had a chance do run into the connections.I will pull all of the connections apart first chance and regrease them before fall

M
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S

AK Tiger

So now that it's dry again, everything works as mother Triumph intended?
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

wvmike

Yep,everythings ok.My concern now is that I ride it to work.I'm gonna hate the first night shift caught in the rain to see if I lose them.Now got a good excuse to fit a set of Piaa 510s or 520s :lol:
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S

AK Tiger

QuoteNow got a good excuse to fit a set of Piaa 510s or 520s
Gotta watch them watts though.  What we wouldn't give for a 650+ watt charging system!  :wink:
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

The Kurgan

You beat me to the punch, but yes, a set of driving lights will add some peace of mind. I spent $10 and bought a decent pair of 55w halogen driving/fog lamps and couldn't be happier. They're hot wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

wvmike

Quote from: "AK Tiger"
Gotta watch them watts though.  What we wouldn't give for a 650+ watt charging system!  :wink:

That would be sweet.I think the 01 is good for 400 watts.I'm gonna use two 55 watts Kurgan has.It's mainly a backup.They will be wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S

The Kurgan

Quote from: "wvmike"
Quote from: "AK Tiger"

That would be sweet.I think the 01 is good for 400 watts.I'm gonna use two 55 watts Kurgan has.It's mainly a backup.They will be wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse

Here's the details of my $9.99 fog light mod. Worth every penny and definitely gives peace of mind. My fog lights have held-up extremely well this past year!

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1cbd5ab380
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]