News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

nitrogen pressure

Started by c-rad, May 12, 2009, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c-rad

Hello Everyone,

The remote reservoir for the Kayaba rear shock on my '93 Tiger has a schraeder valve on the end, and appears to require a charge of nitrogen.  I don't have an owners manual for the bike, and my factory service manual doesn't seem to address the issue.

Can anyone recommend a pressure (I weigh about 160 lbs.)?  I assume that the current pressure of zero is out of spec.  I'd order an owner's manual, but haven't had good luck ordering parts for this bike due to it's foreign (pre-'95) nature.

Thanks, C-Rad

JetdocX

100 psi is what my aftermarket shok takes.  Start there and see what you get?
From parts unknown.

c-rad

Thanks JetdocX

I tried just over 100 psi and it makes a nice difference.  I'd still like to try a new shock someday, but the N2 was free.

Have a great day.

C-Rad

Sin_Tiger

Is this an Ohlins? I saw one other local Tiger with what looked like the same unit with an Ohlins sticker on it though I realise that may mean nothing. No stickers remaining on this unit and I am pretty sure it is not a Kabaya judging by various photos I have seen.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

yep it's an Ohlin's , nice shocks no longer available . I have one on my 98

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"yep it's an Ohlin's , nice shocks no longer available . I have one on my 98

Good news, adjustment knob doesn't seem to do much when twisted (bit like owner knob  :lol: ) at least it's rebuildable and probably worth doing. We have a local Ohlins agent too.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

the knob on the reservoir bottle mounted to the engine is for rebound dampening and if you look under the bike on bottom of shock is another knob that controls compression dampening , as well as you can charge the shock with nitrogen also .

abruzzi

Has anyone confirmed that the stock shock should take 100-125 psi? I'm leaving for a 2000+ mile trip in a week and my shock is current;y at zero.  I'm going to get some nitrogen, and because I'm a bit heavy-230lbs-I figure I'll start with 125 and see how that does.

thanks,

Geof

offtheback

My bike has NO rebound dampening and I just waiting to get it rebuilt this winter..  So if I read Mustangs post correctly getting the resevoir recharged will solve this??
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

DWNUNDR

anymore info on what psi?
1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...

DWNUNDR

I went to my old work and got them to fill the shock with their nitrogen tire station...

the shock had 25psi in it and we filled it to between 115-120psi...

rides nice and firm now...

before it kinda floated with the road, now I dont feel the road as much...
1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...