News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Blinker Switch Thingy...

Started by The Kurgan, May 19, 2009, 04:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kurgan

I noticed that my signals were making a wierd electrical noise today and were not blinking evenly. I traced the problem to the switch/plug "thingy" on the left side behind the fairing. There are three plugs, its the one in the middle (there's a square rubber cover over all three plugs). I guess it is designed to make an even signal. When you have the signals turned on, and you put your fingers on the plug in question, you can feel the rythmic vibration.

I have no idea what its called.

I need to order a new one.

I was able to jiggle it around and things now seem o.k., but I worry about it acting up again in the future.

Any help would be appreciated.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Stretch

The flasher relay?  It has three wires... Black, Orange / Green, and Light Green / Purple.

It may have just been a dirty connection, and your jiggling it worked the connector back and forth a bit until it made contact again.

You may not need a new one.  Try unplugging it and cleaning the contacts.

The Kurgan

yes! Flasher relay. I feel realllly dumb.

I will pull it out tomorrow and give the contacts a good cleaning.

I noticed when I apply pressure to it when the signals are going that it makes a funny screeching sound.

Anyway, things seem find now. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned.

It says "made in Germany"... I was expecting that part to be bullet proof.  :lol:
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Stretch

Quote from: "The Kurgan"I noticed when I apply pressure to it when the signals are going that it makes a funny screeching sound.

Maybe it's just ticklish.  

The Kurgan

Well my flasher relay is definitely on its last legs. Did the same thing (as noted above) this morning. I removed it, cleaned it and gave the leads a light sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper (1000 grit) -- to now avail.

I guess I have to ante up $60 USD for the Triumph part  :(

Anybody have any luck with aftermarket flasher relays?

The unit is a 2(4) x 10W 12V
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

The Kurgan

Necessity is the mother of invention!  8)

I found an aftermarket solution for $14 ($12 USD). Alot less than the $72 I was quoted by my Triumph dealer. Talk about highway robbery.

This one is better than stock. Its an electronic flasher relay made by Tridon. Model EP35. Direct plug and play guys! Works perfectly.

-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

oxnsox

Check your indicator lamps, and their connections too.  The flasher relay may not work properly if you have a faulty lamp (or poor connection to either of them).

Added: This is not the case for 'Electronic' flasher relays only mechanical ones, but sometimes it can be hard to tell because they are physically similar.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rainycoastguy

Good ol' Canadian Tire??

The Kurgan

Quote from: "rainycoastguy"Good ol' Canadian Tire??

Yep! My favourite store  :lol:
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

The Kurgan

For those that are interested...

Here are the Tridon model differences:

http://www.novitatech.com/tridonflashers.html

The EP35 or the EP36 will work with our pre-2007 Tigers. Can't say for certain, but I would assume the 2007+ Tigers already have electonic flasher relays. Somebody with a newer Tiger will have to check.

The only difference between the EP35 and EP36 is life span. The EP35 is rated at 600 hours and the EP36 is rated at 400 hours.

Both can handle up to 3 signals going at the same time (therefore, we could add a trailer or sidecar hack to our Tigers  :P ).

In comparison, my stock flasher relay lasted about 2 hours! lol
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]