News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Low Fuel Warning Light

Started by dewd, May 21, 2009, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewd

Yesterday I was trying to see how low I could get my fuel gauge to go before the light came on.  I was at 204 miles, Fuel GAUGE was in the middle of the red zone, and low fuel light was not illuminated at this point. Theoretically, I think I'm suppose to get about 240 miles on a full tank.  Just wondering what others are experiencing, and I realize mileages will vary, but
when does your low fuel light come on in comparison to the fuel gauge?  The self test at start up illuminates the low fuel light, but mine has not come on yet.  Thanks
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i Roulette Green (newest to me, fastest color)
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
1999 Honda XR250R
2006 Ducati Monster 620(in Garage)
1971 Triumph T120R bobber (sold)
1979 Honda CR250R Elsinore-Screamer(sold)

Stretch

I got 225 once, but the light had been on for some time.  I was between exits on I-20 drawing the seat up into my anal coley.

mrazekan

Dewd,

My fuel light comes on a few minutes after the needle has been at the bottom of the red stripe on the fuel gauge.  This can vary anywhere between 190 and 220 miles.  It depends on what mileage you are getting, elevation, yada, yada.  I reliably get 40 miles to the gallon almost regardless of wether I am hammering it or just cruising along at 70mph.  

What I don't know is how many miles I have left after the fuel light comes on.  It is likely an indicator of a specific volume left in the tank so YMMV.  I am assuming I have ~30 miles left after the light comes on but I don't know.  So I either have a 220 mi range or a 250 mi range.  I generally won't push it past 230 though.

Cheers!

oxnsox

On a recent trip my fuel light was coming on around 200miles prior to any stop. Think the longest run I did was 220 before fueling. At the time I think I calculated that I had around a gallon still in the tank each time I fueled.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Herold

I decided to give the full tank a test to it's limits. I purchased a 1 gallon fuel bottle and filled it up, then filled up my gas tank. I rode the bike normally, meaning my daily commute and typical weekend ride until the warning light came on. I noted my mileage and kept on riding until I felt the first little miss due to fuel starvation, and noted my mileage again. At that point I added the gallon of fuel from the bottle and rode to the gas station to fill up.

I know I average 39-40mpg, and at around 215 miles my low fuel warning light should be coming on. At a point around 240 miles I'll be running out of gas........ and wishing I'd stopped at that last gas station I'd seen a few miles back....

Good information if you're using your bike to travel long distance.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Yukon

I have only had my fuel light come on 1 time.  I usually run until the fuel gauge is near the bottom of the red zone.  When I fill up, the most I have ever put into this bike is 4.5 gallons.  I wonder how much of the 6.2 gallon tank is usable?

EvilBetty

Having worked on my fuel fittings I have had it bone dry and knew exactly how much fuel was in the tank when I filled it up.  With one gallon in while empty, the light was still on.  A gallon and a half will put it just above the red, but the light goes out.

I checked my mileage for the first time this week, getting about 47.3 miles a gallon on first check.  I'll check it a few more times before I get the throttle bodies balanced.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Wiggus

Last week my light came on right before 200 miles. I topped it off and put almost exactly 5 gallons in, leaving 1.3 gallons left, right? Figure I should get another 40 before getting really low. 240-250 mile range?
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

dewd

I think I must have just been on the verge of it coming on. At 204 miles on the tripmeter, I put in 4.4 gallons.  I think next time I'm low on fuel I will cruise around town, close to fuel stations, and let the light do its job.  

I'm trying to get a sense of typical range AFTER the light comes on.  I've only run out of gas once, years ago, but I have a tendency to like to ride the mountains without the extra weight of fuel.  Sometimes fuel can be hard to find on those remote rides.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i Roulette Green (newest to me, fastest color)
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
1999 Honda XR250R
2006 Ducati Monster 620(in Garage)
1971 Triumph T120R bobber (sold)
1979 Honda CR250R Elsinore-Screamer(sold)

mrazekan

It's not like letting the fuel light come on voids your warranty.  

It's just the bike letting you know that you should be thinking about fuel.  For the most part, anytime a low fuel indicator does it's job, weather it be the petcocks of yore or the lights of today, you should have enough fuel to easily roll into the next gas station.  To me, this means about 30 miles.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "dewd"I think next time I'm low on fuel I will cruise around town, close to fuel stations, and let the light do its job.  

I'm trying to get a sense of typical range AFTER the light comes on.

I can assure you there are at least 30 miles on "reserve"; I've done 50 after the light comes on. Doing laps around the block might be a bit obsessive
Bruin\'

sanjoh

Most of the fuel in the 6.2gal tank is usable.  I have put in 6 gallons once, after 274 miles.  The low fuel light on my 01 comes on early around 170mi.  I consider it a pre pre-warning light, with another 100 miles left to E :D
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

Wiggus

Quote from: "mrazekan"It's not like letting the fuel light come on voids your warranty.  

Ummmm...What's a warranty??   :lol:
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

xtphreak

'99 Girly
light is on usually 225-227 miles
once 247
at 227 it usually takes 5.3 gallons or so to fill

2004Tiger

Quote from: "Yukon"I have only had my fuel light come on 1 time.  I usually run until the fuel gauge is near the bottom of the red zone.  When I fill up, the most I have ever put into this bike is 4.5 gallons.  I wonder how much of the 6.2 gallon tank is usable?

All of it. I have filled with 6.2 gallons, tank is 6.4 gallons. I regularly ride 300 miles per tank,  at a steady 50 MPG. My red light comes on after using about 4.4 gallons, because I have filled at that point. When it comes on, 2 gallons remaining, I know I can go another 100 +/- miles to bone dry. No sweat, ride another hour and the needle is past the red zone, going strong. (Pavement only, and of course every bike is different.)
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.