News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front wheel

Started by chairhead, May 26, 2009, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairhead

Sorry if it has cropped up before(i cant see a thread)but will one of the Tiger cast front wheels fit my 03 Girly,if so has anyone done it?(pics),did it work,etc etc etc
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

CvPiper

No, afraid not. Not without making your own spacers etc. Definitely not a straight swap.
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

Bruincounselor

The rotors don't line up either so you are looking at a major job.
Bruin\'

TripleFan

Actually I just put '02 wheels on my '05. Front wheel was plug and play, rear wheel required custom spacers. I can't say what the issues would be going the other way though.

Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

Stretch

Quote from: "TripleFan"Actually I just put '02 wheels on my '05. Front wheel was plug and play, rear wheel required custom spacers. I can't say what the issues would be going the other way though.

No shit?  Cool.

Do you have the dimensions for the rear spacers?

TripleFan

Left spacer was cut to 14.3 mm and the right was cut to 29.4(?).   This is a tighter than stock fit in the swing arm though. I used the 05 left spacer (18.5mm) and the 02 right  spacer (31.0mm) as starting points. My feeling is I ended up with the rear wheel slightly left (1 maybe 2 mm) but I cann't feel anything so far in riding it. Time will tell on that score. Straight edge on the chain says I'm very close.

My suggestion would be cut some 3/4" pipe to 14, 15 16, 27, 28, 29 mm lengths and mock it up first before cutting the spacers and make your own decision. Anything under 26 mm on the right puts you to far right.

I'll also add the front rotors measure 1 mm narrower than the 05. In looking, that's well within the float for the calipers. So I didn't shim the rotors or calipers to adjust for spacing.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

chairhead

Quote from: "TripleFan"I'll also add the front rotors measure 1 mm narrower than the 05. In looking, that's well within the float for the calipers. So I didn't shim the rotors or calipers to adjust for spacing.

Apart from the discs being 1mm narrower,what other differences if any are there??

Bruincounselor wrote

QuoteThe rotors don't line up either so you are looking at a major job.

in what way mate?
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

TripleFan

Quote from: "chairhead"
Quote from: "TripleFan"I'll also add the front rotors measure 1 mm narrower than the 05. In looking, that's well within the float for the calipers. So I didn't shim the rotors or calipers to adjust for spacing.

Apart from the discs being 1mm narrower,what other differences if any are there??

Bruincounselor wrote

in what way mate?

None on the front. The speedo drive and right spacer are the same. I probably should clarify that the 1mm difference is in overall width, out to out measured across the rotors.  

Before I got the wheels I had checked Bike Bandit and found the triple trees, spacer, speedo drive are the same. I had also researched the rotor dimensions.  So I figured I had a good shoot at everything bolting right up.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

chairhead

Going buy that then i should be able to go straight to a cast wheel no? :roll:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

TripleFan

Quote from: "chairhead"Going buy that then i should be able to go straight to a cast wheel no? :roll:

I would think so.... I guess I should mention I set these up as a quick bolt on so I have no idea if the rotors interchange if you're thinking along those lines.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

Stretch

The front rotors are completely different between cast wheels and spoke... 5 bolt pattern versus 6 on the spokers....

Not sure about the rear.

TripleFan

Bolt patterns for the rear rotors are different also.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

Stretch

This subject comes up from time to time, but with no definitive answers from somebody who has put his hands on all the parts and tried it.  I've linked this thread to Girly Wisdom.

Thanks, TripleFan.

TripleFan

No problem. I got lucky and got the wheels cheap :hello2 so I could experiment.  :wings  Front seemed like it was an excellent shot. Rear I had more questions. As it turned out spacing between the sprocket and rotor matched. Any offset in the wheels seemed to match. So the question became spacers.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "chairhead"

Bruincounselor wrote

in what way mate?

I must be wrong. I thought I had measured that years ago when I wanted to get cast wheels and recall the difference as being more like 1 cm. I switched to Dymags which work very well for me and required no changes or spacers. I had also looked at Daytona and Sprint wheels and they didn't fit the bill either.

It's nice that someone has reported on the swap with specifics. This comes up regularly.
Bruin\'