News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replace your plastic fuel fittings!!!

Started by flux, May 27, 2009, 01:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

I know there are a billion threads about this, but folks, if you haven't done it, replace those plastic fuel fittings.  I haven't done mine, and one busted on me today 200 miles from home in the middle of nowhere.  I managed to limp it home with fuel spitting at me from the left side... and waiting for me on the porch was the Team Triumph fittings I got from Monte!  Good timing dude!!!

The Kurgan

Thanks to guys like you, I did mine before I had something similar happen!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hopefully, your misfortune will help some other poor dude think twice before riding around butt-f~ck nowhere with those plastic fittings.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Chris Canning

I've been riding bikes 40 years this year,i come from a non PC generation,were health and saftey is your problem,but how the hell Triumph have got away with those plastic female fittings i'll never know,when mine broke the bike keeped running,if we'd been going around a corner we'd have been on the floor,those couplings failing are going to kill someone one of these days.

flux

Yeah, it IS amazing that Triumph has managed to get away with it.  

My bike kept running, too, which is good and bad.  At least I could get home but there was a concern the whole time and a conscious effort was made to be sure I did NOT scrape peg on the way back, which is hard, because the way home is good fun.  

I'm just glad that I have a long time habit of walking around the bike looking for issues while I'm at gas stops or rests.  I noticed the dirt was kinda washed away on my countershaft sprocket cover, and I knew straight away I was leaking gas.

The new fittings are going in today...

RT

Do all model years have the plastic fittings?   Thought they had made an upgrade on the 06 models?

Would like to know so I can change out mine if needed.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

Stretch

The recall was supposed to have been done in 2003.  2004 models had partially-metal fittings, and 2005-06 models have a completely different fuel system with only one fuel hose and a different fitting.  Refer to the photos in this thread to figure which type system you have...  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,32398

The all-metal fuel fittings sold by TeamTriumph are for 1999-early 2005's.

flux

I really didn't mean to start another one of these threads... sorry Stretch!  Just wanted to drive the point home that this is indeed a real concern.  Some of you might recall that a few weeks ago my buddy's '99 had the same issue happen when we had to remove the tank when he had a tipover cause a flood of oil to the cylinders.  We snapped his during tank removal.  Mine broke with no reason... all I can figure is the offroading of the day caused it somehow, or maybe fluxing around with the tank during my coolant experience caused a small hairline crack that only made itself known after some riding.  Who knows?  :roll:

This morning the staircase to the garage smelled of gas, and the garage was like a timebomb waiting to go off.  I'm headed down later to fit the new ones and will let ya know how it goes.   8)

Chris Canning

Mine keeped running but only till the fuel ran out,i'd just filled it to brim and it dumped the entire contents all over a red hot motor 200 miles from home.

Quote from: "Stretch"The recall was supposed to have been done in 2003.  2004 models had partially-metal fittings, and 2005-06 models have a completely different fuel system with only one fuel hose and a different fitting.  Refer to the photos in this thread to figure which type system you have...  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,32398

The all-metal fuel fittings sold by TeamTriumph are for 1999-early 2005's.

My 05 must be an early model, I have the two line system and had the plastic fittings. fortunately mine broke in the garage when I was putting it back together after a valve check.

flux

I fitted the metal fittings without a hitch.  I am a pro at removing that tank now, I'll tell you that damn much.  

A good trick for putting the new fittings in:  When you have to remove the small clip and springs, put a ziplock bag over it first.  This helps to contain everything if stuff goes flying.  I also saved my old fittings since they are still useable... will use them to make extensions and longer lines for when I need to run the bike with the tank off.  

I found out the culprit of my leak was a ripped o ring on the male end, and a very small crack along the metal slide on the female end.  

The Team Triumph parts are nice... will be cool to have valved male ends methinks.

EvilBetty

I've got an "early" 2005 as well... Dual plastic (formally) fittings.

Yeah I can have my tank off in 5 minutes now... I actually timed it  :)

I tore 3 o-rings during the installations / removals... I've got a small baggy of them on hand now... just in case.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

flux

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I've got an "early" 2005 as well... Dual plastic (formally) fittings.

I tore 3 o-rings during the installations / removals... I've got a small baggy of them on hand now... just in case.

Good call.  I have a few now myself.  I used a little vaseline on them before inserting into the males and they went in nice and easy... oh yeah... (trying to do my best Isaac Hayes voice there)   8)

Quote from: "flux"
Quote from: "EvilBetty"I've got an "early" 2005 as well... Dual plastic (formally) fittings.

Good call.  I have a few now myself.  I used a little vaseline on them before inserting into the males and they went in nice and easy... oh yeah... (trying to do my best Isaac Hayes voice there)   8)

Didn't have any problems with the o rings, but good to have some on hand, where did you get them ?

EvilBetty

EvilBetty

Um... I can't find the post where that BMW part number was given to me.  I kept it because someone told me they were the same size, but I can't find that post to confirm, and I have not tried these myself.  The BMW rings are standard 011 size apparently.  I can't find a documented size for the Triumph o-rings.

I got mine when I was in a pinch, from Parts America.  They had a Viton multi-pack int he HELP section, there was a size that matched the original rings perfectly (but they are brick red instead of black?).