News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

steamer misfire

Started by geno955i, May 31, 2009, 04:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geno955i

hi guys,
i need advice my steamer has a misfire at higher revs,ive had this problem before but it was debris in the carbs,but there clean this time.
i have already done the following,
1 checked plugs,air filter,airbox and seals
2 fuel tank breaher is clear
3 valves are perfect,
4 coils and leads are fine as is the pickup
 :? so any ideas would help
bikes are for life..cars are just obstacles..

Mustang

are the coils the stock triumph coils ? because when they are crap they will still ohm at perfect at .6 ohm , 99 % of the time , same with the ignition p/u sensor .

MIMbox

Is it a misfire, or hesitancy at revs?
My coil failure symptom was a mid range misfire, that felt, (as it actually was), that I was running on two cylinders, but it seemed to go from running like a pig to warpfactor 3 when the throttle was wound open.
I went down the TT600 coil stick route.
Could still be carbs, they seem really sensitive to debris/gumming. I changed the carbs to try to get a clean running bike, and it was fine the first ride, then after a two week layoff, it ran like a pig for the 1st 20 or so miles.

No pain No gain they tell us!!

geno955i

i changed the coils and leads to nology units ayear ago,after one of your posts mustang,the bike feels as if im hitting the rev limiter,but its only 2/3 open.......the debris i got in the carbs was a white powder so i fitted an inline filter after reading another post here and i changed to a different fuel station just in case. the problem isnt constant....my bike is one of the early models with mikuni carbs

Mustang

The white powder in the carbs is a common problem of oxidation of the aluminum carb bodys when they sit unused for a period of time with no gas in them

on another note I had a fuel tank that the plastic liner comes apart on and leaves a whiter debris in the carbs so bad that it won't run

Here in the staes we have a product called GUMOUT that is a spray carb cleaner . a can of that and a compressed airline generally will make a carb like new again

geno955i

:? thanks mustang.....i have used a similar product and air line,just have to put the carbs back in now..i have tried using a fuel additives thats supposed to clean carbs..didnt seem to do much.

geno955i

:D   update on the misfire...
i put the carbs back together and the problem was still there,then i disconnected my scottoiler just in case that was the poblem..no joy,so finally just went for a long ride...and problem dissappeared..so im none the wiser..i think the bike has a mind of its own...
hopefully it wont return as im going to europe again on it in july.
for a 1 week lap of france....THANKS for the advice guys