News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ice Road Truckers

Started by Stretch, June 01, 2009, 04:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

The History Channel's "Ice Road Truckers" features Alaska's Dalton Highway this season!   :thumbsup

It looks a bit different than when I rode it.  :mrgreen:

flux

This show is a guilty pleasure of mine.  I am somewhat ashamed to admit I've seen nearly every episode.  Tivo'ed the new one last night, haven't watched it yet though.  The Redwings game was on.   8)

flux

There was an episode of Modern Marvels on a month or two ago about the Alcan Highway, I got that recorded, it was good.  If I can get my wife to record one on disc (I'm not good at this sort of thing) I'll mail it to ya.   :party

Stretch

I've seen it too.  :mrgreen:   I admit to keeping up with this stuff too much also.

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"I've seen it too.  :mrgreen:   I admit to keeping up with this stuff too much also.

At least its not REAL HOUSEWIVES OF WHATEVER CITY which is what my wife seems to enjoy lately.  Blech!

So, let's geek out then.  Who's your favorite Ice Road Trucker?  I'm going with Alex 'cause he lives a clean life, works hard, and loves his HUGE family.  An all around good dude.

But I also like the Polar Bear.  Hugh is a roughneck, born to be a trucker.  Great work ethic, not afraid to be the low man on the totem pole, which he proved last season driving the 'poo truck' around the whole time.

Stretch

I don't have a favorite.  Hell, I don't even keep up with their names.  Doing so is like rooting for a nascar driver, which I also won't do.

I do enjoy watching the guys with pissy attitudes get blessed out by the bosses, and then stuck with crappy, low-paying loads.  And then they whine some more.  I make fun of them.

I like the show because it's way up in the Arctic (and I loved the Arctic), and it's a well-filmed bona-fide adventure show, unlike those idiotic 'Survivor' game shows.

flux

I agree.  Have you watched "Axe Men?"  It's another good one, I think it's even narrated by the Ice Road Truckers guy.  

Really Alex and Hugh are the only 2 whose names I remember.   :D

I need to get up to the Arctic.  I just hate that there are SO many posts about it on ADVrider... it's kinda like the TAT or baja... I feel like I've done it and I never have even come close!  Can you imagine how locals along the TAT must feel?  If one of them was smart they'd open a shop somewhere along it and cater to bacon eating ADV inmates.   :ImaPoser

Stretch

Yeah, Axe Men is pretty cool.  My Mom's family is from western Oregon, along the Columbia River, so I'm kind of familiar with the lay of the land there too.  Beautiful country.

And again, I enjoy laughing at the whiners and non-hackers.  "It's a rough job, son.  We're not going to change the nature of the industry because you don't want to get up before first light."

I see your point about some of the Ride Reports on ADV.  The site is just so fucking big now (over 100,000 members) that if even 1/2 of 1% post a Ride Report about Alaska, you've got one hell of a lot of reading to do.  But that also makes it an invaluable resource for folks who are planning the trip... learn the risks and prepare for the trip before ever getting there.

I did a bit of the TAT last fall, and some of the business owners along the way knew about the TAT and ADV, while others didn't have a clue.  The TAT starts in the parking lot of the Days Inn in Jellico, and the hotel manager didn't even know it.  The place was a bit short-staffed that day, and the manager was running the reception desk himself.  Making small talk, RocDoc and I explained that we were running the first few days of the TAT, and the guy didn't remotely know what we were talking about.  After explaining it to him, he was quite pleased, and was excited to search the web for TAT ride reports.

aeronca

oh stop you bunch of fag's, every one knows The Martha Stewart Show RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any one can drive across ice, but it takes a real man to know when to flip an omlet just right :roll:

or drive a brg steamer -  :shock:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Stretch

An omelette would be pretty good right now...

JetdocX

Quote from: "aeronca"or drive a brg steamer -  :shock:

:evil:  :lol:

I'm in for Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs.  Also Dangerous Catch.  Those guys crack me up.

Now back to the important stuff like, which Tiger color is the fastest!
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Dirty Jobs is awesome.  My little girl and I rarely miss that one.

flux

I do like me some Dirty Jobs.  I have a high respect for Mike Rowe.  It'd be so easy for him to put down the people he works with every show, but instead they are held in a high regard.

Did you know that one dude that does the extermination has his own show now called the Exterminators?  

Man, I watch too much Discovery Channel...   :oops:

Stretch

Quote from: "flux"Man, I watch too much Discovery Channel...   :oops:

I'm actually kind of proud of myself for spending my TV time on educational channels instead of wasting brain cells on pop culture.

"You watch American Idol last night?"

"Uh... no."

"Oh.  Well, isn't House a cool show?"

"What?  Is that on Home & Garden TV?"

"No, it's a nighttime drama about a doctor.  Desperate Housewives is a stitch though, isn't it?"

"Um... I guess."

Mike Rowe seems to be a pretty cool dude... playing around with his crew, and when one of them gets the better of him, he just stands there and smiles.  Pretty good sense of humor, it seems.

aeronca

hey brother jetdocx, i guess over in germany there's a show that follows around a&p's that work for LTU. thats the last thing the flying public would need to see :lol:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!