News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Needs Throttle To Get Started?

Started by FullMonte, June 04, 2009, 10:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullMonte

My Tiger has been acting carbed lately (for the past 4 rides) and its starting to piss me off.  To get her started, she needs throttle and won't idle well until properly warmed up.  Is it something to do with the idle air control system or summat?  The nearest Trumpet dealer is 90 miles away and I really would rather not trailer it up there if possible.   I took it to a friend who is a seasoned mechanic and he hooked it up to his OBD II code reader.  No fault codes appeared.  He doesn't know Triumphs and could not really offer anything but he's very good with Jap bikes.  Any ideas?

flux

Did you call Andy at Moto 400 yet?

Bike problems suck.  I've had my share of them lately so I feel yer pain.

Yukon

Mine had a similar issue, it acted like it needed a choke to start on the first try, would stall, then start with the second attempt.  After it started it would run at very low RPM's for about 20 seconds and then it was normal.  Then I went to start it one morning, turned the key on and received the loud whine, you know the one you get after the bike has sat for a month or so without being started, hit the starter and it fired up normally and has run fine since.  I'm leaving for the East Coast Tiger ride in tomorrow AM and hope I don't encounter any problems.  Mine's a 2006 with 12k on the clock.

Stretch

Idle Air Controller and / or Stepper Motor getting gummed up?

It's not at all difficult to disassemble and clean, but the tank has to come off to get to it.   :BangHead

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"but the tank has to come off to get to it.   :BangHead

:ImaPoser   Naturally!

FullMonte

Quote from: "flux"Did you call Andy at Moto 400 yet?

Finally got ahold of him after my original post.  He postulated a loose or cracked intake boot.  Looks like its gonna be another take off the facking Tiger tank day tomorrow. :roll:

FullMonte

Quote from: "Stretch"Idle Air Controller and / or Stepper Motor getting gummed up?

It's not at all difficult to disassemble and clean, but the tank has to come off to get to it.   :BangHead

Is there a how to thread for that process?  Any special tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Stretch

Quote from: "FullMonte"Is there a how to thread for that process?  Any special tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

No, not yet.

But do let us know what your Mech found.

The Kurgan

Mine will sometime start on the first push of the button and then stall. It almost always starts on the second push. I consider this normal for my kitty. I personally wouldn't worry about it.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

flux

Quote from: "FullMonte"
Quote from: "flux"Did you call Andy at Moto 400 yet?

Finally got ahold of him after my original post.  He postulated a loose or cracked intake boot.  Looks like its gonna be another take off the facking Tiger tank day tomorrow. :roll:

Sucks man, I have become a pro at taking that tank off.  The hardest part for me is remembering to put the damn main fuse back in the battery tray... another great Triumph engineering marvel!  

Good luck!

EvilBetty

It sounds exactly like an intake boot problem.  The Buell Blast is notorious for tearing these things all the time, but I never noticed any boots between the fuel rail and the intake on our bikes.  I gotta pull out my service manual again!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

pletdj

Hi there,
Any update on this? My 2005 kitty is like Kurgans and stalls after starting the 1st time then fires up on the 2nd attempt.  
That is untill recently.  now it takes 2 attempts, both stall then fires on the 3rd.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
2005 Triumph Tiger
2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika