News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

See this before it's taken down

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 12, 2009, 11:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

News today in the UK, you can't condone what these guys were doing, he straps a camera to his bike which leads to him videoing the death of his friend  :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... limit.html
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flux

I sure am glad you mentioned his friend dies in the vid... saved me from clicking on the link.  I've no need to witness that, call me a big sissy.

Stretch

Quote from: "flux"I sure am glad you mentioned his friend dies in the vid... saved me from clicking on the link.  I've no need to witness that, call me a big sissy.

Same here.  I've already seen enough of it.

coachgeo

Camera was too far behind to see anything but a glimpse of something.  for us viewers thats a good thing.  The text in the article painted with words more gore than the video showed by far.  

Reaction time at those speeds can not deal with normal traffic conditions.  They can barely... and often still dont, allow enough reaction time for even wide open stretch roads with a granny in a car that pulls out miles down the road from where you are at the moment.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"
Quote from: "flux"I sure am glad you mentioned his friend dies in the vid... saved me from clicking on the link.  I've no need to witness that, call me a big sissy.

Same here.  I've already seen enough of it.

You know, that is one big reason I ended up not pursuing the career I was thinking about with the Fire Department.  I just don't think I could handle having to deal with that kind of thing all the time.  My hat's off to those of you that do.

Bixxer Bob

Ok.... some explanation needed here.

The link is to a national newspaper website, not some sicko videoweb where twisted,morbid watchers can revel in someone else's demise - no-one, no matter how stupid, deserves to have their life-end turned into entertainment.  The video ends a fraction before the rider meets crashes so as to avoid attracting the gore-mongers.  

Leaving aside the lunacy of doing an indicated 170mph on public roads, the video brings home just how quickly and easily things can go wrong.  It could just have easily happened at one-quarter of that speed, as it's inapropriate speed that causes the accident.  He goes for a two-car overtake that he could probably have made at the speed he's doing, but the car immediately ahead of him pulls out to overtake as well.  He's now travelling far too quickly to avoid a collision and hits the rear of the car, bouncing into the oncoming traffic. The video ends before impact.

My reason for posting was in the hope that others could learn from his mistake.  "If it makes just one person think twice about a risky overtake..." etc etc

Apologies to any whose sensibilities were offended.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

That makes sense.

"Don't try this at home."

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Apologies to any whose sensibilities were offended.

That was how I saw it.

Not meaning to slight the passed, had I not known the outcome I would have had reservations about the earlier manouever squeezing through at the roundabout exit in any case.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Cheers guys,  glad that's straightened out.

We had a run out today to the ACE CAFE, about 70 miles to a great place on the outskirts of London where bikers used to hang out in the 60's playing rock and roll on the jukebox and generally having fun.  It's in kind of a time warp, being exactly the same today.  Anyway, it was Triumph day today, lots of Triumphs old and new big and small and a great day out, but to get to the point,  I went with three other folks: and oldish guy on a new Bonneville, a lady in her early 40s on a 1050 Speed Triple, me on Tigger and a guy on a Blackbird.  

I found watching their behaviour from a bike instructor perspective and one who does around 400 miles of fastish commute every week quite interesting.  One was very cautious and flatly refused to exceed any speed limit (can't fault that really) and generally very safe.  One rode really well except having an aversion to filtering and only overtaking on long straight empty stretches despite having plenty of power on tap, and finally one that would ignore several safe overtakes then go for the near-suicidal one every time.  I have to say none of them are idiots, just run of the mill riders, but all could do with some advanced training.  It seems the gap between serious riders and weekenders is bigger than I thought.  There again,  they probably look at me and consider me a risk-taker and wonder how I've survived as long.  It all depends on your viewpoint.

I'll put the beer down now I'm rambling..... :oops:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"It all depends on your viewpoint.

I'll put the beer down now I'm rambling..... :oops:

Going on to the shorts now  :lol:  :lol:

"O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us. - Robert Burns" as if you couldn't guess. :roll:

Coming back to biking after a gap 30 yrs (I don't think the concept or term "filtering" existed then), the one piece of wisdom I have gleened and adheered to is the above.

I would probably put myself into your second category, although I am getting better at filtering, you have to if you want to get anywhere in Singapore and I like to have enough time to roll off to get to my steady speed or set up for the next corner rather than have to brake.

I have a fear of getting into bad habits, perhaps even paranoid, being mindful of the fact that a loss of temper or one bad call might be my last so the odd reminder is rarely out of place. If I spend as much on quality gear and training as I spend on farkles I know which will likely pay me dividends.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint