News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaking alternator cover

Started by mittens, June 27, 2009, 05:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

The factory original gasket for your bike was metal impregnated for longevity and durability.

After market and current manufacturer gaskets are 'paper' type without the metal and are just as good, and just as durable.

While it's not 'normal' to have oil around the stator because it's supposed to be a dry area, on some 955i engines oil seeps in. It's under mass speculation at this time if the oil combined with the heat from the engine is what's killing the stators prematurely.

Most mechanics I've spoken to regarding the oil issue don't seem concerned about it since it's such a minimal amount.  If you're getting more than a cup (240ml) out of that area, then something needs to be addressed. Most likely it's the pressed in oil seal and small, flat, washer type gasket you'll see in the stator cover. The small and flat gasket should go between the pressed oil seal and the engine casing.

There's discussion about the factory coating on the stator windings and an experiment with a marine grade coating currently undergoing testing on a few members bikes, mine included. I've noticed the winding coating on the factory and stators coming from Ricks Motorsports having turned clear after exposure to the oil inside the casing. This new coating a few of us are trying out hasn't passed the test of time yet, but so far I haven't had any problems and my voltage is staying in the 14.5 range above 2500 rpm without any accessories running.

In reality, there aren't many Tiger's experiencing the stator and rectifier problem when you look at the numbers produced. Obviously there are a few of us who are, and our posts attract alot of attention because it's a major issue to have your machine break down. There are fixes out there, and we're all contributing to finding them. The 995i engine is solid, stout, and relatively easy to work on. It's a time proven design and very respected in the motorcycling world.  A few quirks among thousands of engines isn't anything to cause alarm, we'll get them worked out.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

mittens

thank you for your indepth reply.
 I have now finished repairs on the alt. cover and buttoned it all back up again. It's ran fine during a short test ride.
Im due to have a service in about 1200k's, Ill have another look inside then and see how much, if any oil has collected by then.
"If a hammer doesn\'t fix it you have an electrical problem"

Roulette Green 2001 Tiger 955i

mittens

Here are some before and after pics. I used "Permatex Cold Weld"
And then Hi gloss engine enamel.
The "after" one is a little blurry as I had to go manual exposure cause the auto focus couldnt read it, it was too shiny :)
It does have a small bubble in it, but I wasnt going to do it a third time :lol:

Tom Herold

Since the cover isn't under pressure, your 'fix' should work out for you.  It looks good, keep us informed on how it's working out and holding up!!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Stretch

Now install some crash bars.

mittens

working on it, surely I wouldnt drop it again! :oops:
Anyone know of any good ones to be had in aus? Or will I have to send away overseas for them?

EvilBetty

might start with these guys.  If they don't have them, they might be able to direct you to someone local that can supply them.

http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalog.p ... e%20Guards
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Stretch

Thunderbike is based in New Zealand.  Close enough, perhaps?

http://www.theshop.co.nz/shopn/SP/71596 ... sg=,co=TIG