News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Quick question on fuel sender

Started by HappyMan, July 07, 2009, 01:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

Sooo, I drop my bike off today to flush it and when I picked it up the low fuel light was on and the gauge was dead.  I pulled it back in and told them they missed something.  They responded with "we thought you knew" and assumed that it was dead when I dropped it off.  They could have saved me a lot of time if they'd called and asked!!!  I could have left it with them for the rest of the week to pick it up but instead I got a ride there today waited for it and now I have to bring it back in??  And it probably won't be ready for my trip either!!!  Arrrrrr.  

So they said they checked that the fuel sender was plugged in and that was that.  $98 for the part.  It was working fine this morning.  They pulled the tank off for the flush and now they are telling me these go all the time so $98 plus install.  Hmmmm, is there something I should be checking that they might have missed out of assumption?  How difficult is it to replace?  I'll have time after I get back.  

One more thing.  They told me my chain needed to be lubed....I cleaned and lubed it Saturday.  Hmmmmmmm.  They did a great job last time I gave it to them.  I thought maybe I had found the one good service department.  Oh well.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

chilly

They really sound like monkeys... it's a shame.

Dumb question...  but did you check yourself if it was plugged in?  They sound dishonest enough to not bother checking, and just saying they did.  If you don't know, I think it's on the right side along the bottom edge of the tank  (only plug on the tank - besides the fuel pump on the left side plate).  

Either way... if you brought your bike in for service (in which the tank was removed), and it doesn't work now.... no way you should be paying for that.

It is really a shame that crap like that goes on.
02\' Tiger with scratches and dirty spokes

HappyMan

Agreed.  I'm really not happy.  I need to check it myself and was planning to do so and appreciate the info on where the wire is.  Thanks!

HappyMan

I'll have a conversation with the morons tomorrow.  When I brought the bike back in and told them they must not have connected the fuel gauge properly his first response was "can you leave the bike here?".  I said, no.  This should be simple and I pulled the seat off for them.  He said he'd go talk to the mechanic and he came back with the statement I made before about it not working when I left it.  That he'd checked the wiring and all was good.  

Soooo, I drop the bike off because I don't have time to work on it and trust that they will be competent and do a good job.  I take the time to go in this morning, get a ride to work and then hitch a ride back this afternoon.  Then they want to charge me for a sending unit that apparently "Broke" while it was there.  I take the time when I get home to take off the seat and side panels to find that the connector for the sending unit was not fully seated, one of the spades had slipped into the housing.......(pause to rid my mind of much bad language coming to my head...)  This was actually easily visible without touch it......

This is really too bad.  Obviously I had one good mechanic the last time I left the bike with them but I sure didn't get that mechanic this time.  And I have no doubt that if I'd trusted them they would have installed a new sending unit for me, found that it still didn't work and then fixed the problem and billed me.

SERadtke

Shoulda brought it over here! :oops:

The sender is very easy to replace.....remove tank, then four screws on the bottom of the tank. I took mine out when I painted my tank.

Where did you take it BTW?
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "SERadtke"Where did you take it BTW?

I'd like to know too.....
Bruin\'

HappyMan

Thanks for the info Shawn.  Fortunately I don't have to replace it.......JUST PLUG IT IN!!!!!!!!  I would have loved to have gotten together with you to do it if I'd had the time but I'm leaving tomorrow for Lifefest and then will have a couple of days before I leave for the trip.  I brought it to Moto Primo, by the way.  I'd been really happy with Adam and whatever mechanic that worked on my bike last time but this time was a total waste of my time.  Did I mention that I also have a puddle of antifreeze below my right leg of my center stand?  Appears to be an overflow tube there.  Also appears that they overfilled the overflow tank.....I'm concerned that they would have flopped the in/out tubes.  I'll need to check it when I get back.  I did let it idle hot for a while and the fan kept it cool.  It never went over half on the gauge.  I suspect that if they'd swapped the hoses it would run up to the red part of the gauge.  If someone could confirm that I'd be much obliged.

HappyMan

Quote from: "Bruincounselor"
Quote from: "SERadtke"Where did you take it BTW?

I'd like to know too.....

Moto Primo if you didn't catch my last post.  Do you bring it to the Cities for work Bruin?  I would have suspected you'd work with Ma's.

oxnsox

(Un)HappyChap
Did you think to take some pix of the connector you had to reconnect? At least that way you'd be able to show them at (Un)Primo Moto why you had their problem.
At the very least ring them and ask for the Owner and tell him how you feel about the service you're getting from His service department.
Often the guys at the head of the food chain don't know the details at the other end, so can be fobbed off with the same line you were.
It a tough time for any business out there right now, I would think they would want to listen.....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HappyMan

Good thoughts Oxnsox.  I haven't taken any pics but will offer it.  I was going to try and speak with the head of service but perhaps going to the owner if possible would be good.  He or she may be quite hard to track as there are several stores.  For those wondering in my area this was Moto Primo in Lakeville.  I'll be trying to speak with them after 9 this morning.

HappyMan

They apologized and offered a free oil change....

As a business owner I do not like it if a customer has a problem and does not call to inform me.  It's important if you are to continue striving to be the best.  I was explicit in my complaint not only for not putting the bike back together properly but also for misdiagnosis of an obvious problem but also for not calling me to tell me that it wasn't working.  The technician assumed I knew.  A quick phone call to tell me that it wasn't working could have saved a lot of time but then they still misdiagnosed it in the first place which would have mean they would have ordered the part and installed the new one and charged me for something that wasn't broke.  Something they have done before and we discussed.  My faith in a good mechanic is gone once again.  I always do my own wrenching but when I don't have time it means I can't ride or I have to pay.  I'll try Belle Plane next time after I get my free oil change.

SERadtke

John, oxn has a good point but having worked in the service industry for years at all levels except owner, I would suggest going to the service manager first. The "chain of command" is prevelant in all businesses. Owners typically give little credence to someone who tries to break the chain and jump straight to them. If you do contact the owner, the first thing he/she will do is ask the service manager "What's with this Happy Guy ( :wink: ) and why is he calling me?" The service manager will say, "I don't know, I haven't heard anything from him. The next part varies a bit but usually ends up with the owner passing it back down the chain to the service manager, who may then pass it back down to the advisor...... you know the old adage...."poop rolls downhill". Good luck, and thanks for trying to hold a service facility accountable!
Shawn
<((()))><

SERadtke

Glad it worked out.....if you do need to go back, try to find out which tech worked on it the previous trip (you said he was very good) and request him!!! You have that right and the tech will be honored you trust him.
Shawn
<((()))><

HappyMan

Quote from: "SERadtke"Glad it worked out.....if you do need to go back, try to find out which tech worked on it the previous trip (you said he was very good) and request him!!! You have that right and the tech will be honored you trust him.

I should have mentioned that I did take my complaint to the Service Manager for the same reasons you mentioned.  As an owner, I understand that.  If the Service Manager didn't listen the owner would be tracked down.  I did check into the previous mechanic and found that it was Adam.  I would request him next time though they probably would scoff at that.  However, other than a free oil change my business is gone.  I've given them my time and several chances.  The first strike was when I went to buy it and then two service errors.

Next time we'll have to work on it together Shawn.  However, I'm hoping you do not have any time available because you'll be busy working!

2004Tiger

Quote from: "HappyMan"... Did I mention that I also have a puddle of antifreeze below my right leg of my center stand?  Appears to be an overflow tube there.  Also appears that they overfilled the overflow tank.....I'm concerned that they would have flopped the in/out tubes.  I'll need to check it when I get back.  I did let it idle hot for a while and the fan kept it cool.  It never went over half on the gauge.  I suspect that if they'd swapped the hoses it would run up to the red part of the gauge.  If someone could confirm that I'd be much obliged.
I can not confirm that. The temperatures will be normal until the flopped tubes cause a significant coolant loss (many heat cycles) then, since air will not cool the block, a hot ride will exhibit overheating to the red zone. If you suspect they flopped the tubes you must visually confirm before your next ride.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.