News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

convert 955 to bio fuel

Started by REGULATOR, July 14, 2009, 02:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

It's worth mentioning that there are specific ECU tunes for Brazil, which I assume is because of the ethanol issue.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

xtphreak

Quote from: "REGULATOR"either way,

the website I found has a kit for the tiger if I wanted to run Ehthanol,

then I'm one step closer to buying a still :-)

well as gas is so "cheap" right now, the owner closed our engineering office ... we design / build ethanol plants ... or did, now I'm on the Obama Plan ... unemployment  :(

if you build a still be aware of legal impacts ... BATFE will put you in prison for bootlegging ...
we have to mix gasoline with the 200 proof (100%) product to "denature" it, so it's not drinkable before shipping it to a mixing facility, else the plant owner has to pay a liquor producing tax.

BIG$$$$$

E85 around here is a ripoff

they discount about $0.10 / gallon less than 87 octane gasoline (10% ethanol)...
if ethanol is $2.00/gallon to buy and gas is $3.00/gallon to buy, the cost of the E85 is ethanol $1.70 + gas $0.45 = $2.15 / gallon  vs gas at $3.00 / gallon.
Around here they'd price the E85 @ $2.90 given those costs.

now as to producing 200 proof or 100% ethanol
we use a molecular sieve in the process ...
you can distill under a vacuum to lower the vapor pressure of the mash, lowering the heat input, but power for the vacuum pump has to be added back in.
multiple runs is the most effective way for a small operation, run it for 75%, rerun the 75% for 80%, repeat repeat

the more accurate your heat control is, keeping the temp above 173 deg F (ethanol boiling point @ 760mmHg) and below 212 deg F (boiling point H2O @ 760mmHg) will produce the most effective output.

to see what lowering the pressure does fo the vapor pressure (boiling point) here's a calculator I just goggled

http://www.partyman.se/boiling-point-calculator/

sounds good, I was really into it back in the 70's ... Mother Earth News and all that

figure buying the corn (oh my doG now we're starving folks in whothefuckknowswhere)
and the sugar for the mash,
oh yeah and the yeast and
storing it at an appropriate temp for the yeast to "work" and
checking the specific gravity to decide when they've worked enough (and yes the ethanol kills the yeast)
so every batch you have the corn residue to dispose of (it makes high protein cattle/hog feed, but unless you dry it, it spoils quickly and stinks all the time)
providing heat and controls for the boiler
collecting the product
rerunning the product

good luck with all that

here's an article for you to read ... the first part has pretty good info on ethanol production

http://geoheat.oit.edu/bulletin/bull28-1/art2.pdf

REGULATOR

Just getting ready for the big crash, and when we all have to fend for our selves..

gas will be too expensive, then stations will get closed and robbed,

eventually if you can't brew your own you won't be able to go anywhere..

Or I just really want an excuse to have a still   8)

Stretch

Quote from: "REGULATOR"Just getting ready for the big crash, and when we all have to fend for our selves..

gas will be too expensive, then stations will get closed and robbed,

eventually if you can't brew your own you won't be able to go anywhere..

Or I just really want an excuse to have a still   8)

And you think the gum'mint won't regulate the sales of sugar, corn, malt, and yeast?

REGULATOR

Time to head for the hills and start growing my own ingredients

coachgeo

Quote from: "REGULATOR"Time to head for the hills and start growing my own ingredients
That wont help!!
growing ingredients for happy brownies wont spead up reaching your ethanol fuel goals :lol:
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

REGULATOR

Not into the "happy"brownies..

talkign about growing my own corn etc ( and using trash and other waste products) and converting it into fuel..

coachgeo

Quote from: "REGULATOR"Not into the "happy"brownies..

talkign about growing my own corn etc ( and using trash and other waste products) and converting it into fuel..
while its never good to assume.... especially in forums... but yes..... I understood your meaning.. just was too good to turn down the chance at a laugh.  

Glad to see you included trash/waste products.  The old wood gas/fuel extraction of waste products as a byproduct of heating still is an option to look into also.  Extracted liquid fuel might could be added to gas as well or used in something more spefiic tuned to that fuel like a genset.

TigerTrax

Here is your link....alternate energy.
http://www.permaculture.com/store/alcohol_workshops

Get yourself a parcel of land and raise sorghum ( not corn )...
convert it to alcohol..... and run it 50%....

Seems simple enough..... :)
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

coachgeo

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Here is your link....alternate energy.
http://www.permaculture.com/store/alcohol_workshops

Get yourself a parcel of land and raise sorghum ( not corn )...
convert it to alcohol..... and run it 50%....

Seems simple enough..... :)
oh.. and grow Jatropha trees to for their seeds.  Very high oil yield in the seeds; makes a great naturial Diesel :D