News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pops bangs and rough running

Started by Bixxer Bob, July 24, 2009, 09:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

I believe it's pretty well known among competent (key word) dealers that your battery must be in good condition in order to download a tune.  When I had mine done in May, the dealer asked about my battery a couple times, making sure he wouldn't have trouble loading the tune.

A weak battery can't tolerate having the ignition and lights on (engine not running) for the 5-10 minutes it takes to load the tune into the ECU.  If the battery is marginal, the voltage will get lower and lower, until it finally falls under the threshold (whatever that value is, I don't know) that the ECU can't take in any more data from the tune tool, and the tune program is corrupted.

You'd think they'd have the forethought to simply pull the headlight fuse.  I turned my lights off, just to be sure (UK-spec headlight switch).

Bixxer Bob

Aye, my dealer used a jumper battery, as I said earlier, but at the end of the day there probably wasn't enough left in it.  The second time they ran the bike all morning on the jumper, or at least till the injectors stopped firing.  It was blaming it on my wiring that was too much to take, even though they'd disconnected it!!!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

How badly will a small exhaust leak of a aftermarket exhaust affect the running of these bikes?  It wasn't doing this with the stock muffler.

I have a new battery, fresh balanced TB's, fresh valve adjustment, fresh TOR tune, and my bike is running very odd, especially when I first start it up.

Also when I go to accelerate it sometimes hesitates a couple times before it takes off.  Power though is greatly increased with the new muffler.  The TOR tune doesn't seem to have made much difference in running or performance.

The dealers are no longer using the "Game Boy" to load the tune.  They have Acer netbooks with a Triumph software running on it and a USB cable to attaches to the bike.  Very similar to Tune boy.  If I could get a hold of that netbook for a few minutes I'd Ghost a copy of that hard drive. :)   When he was loading the tune he said the software had an updated version of the TOR tune from what the old Game Boy had listed for the bike.

I'm going to fix the exhaust leaks when the weather turns ugly later in the week...

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD