News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear brake light-switch off master cylinder

Started by tokalosh, August 03, 2009, 09:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokalosh

Just got back from testing the resistance from the brakelight cables and the switch itself--it all checks out, except for one problem...

Now I know the rear brakes are working just fine because I changed the pads and bled the system, but the brakelight does not engage until the rear brake pedal is pushed way down.  If it were a little off I could live with it, but we're talking full rear wheel lockup before that thing would even flicker on the road.

My question is, should I replace it?  Would it be a question of replacing part #9 in the schematic: http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-tiger-2006-rear-brake-master-cylinder/o/m17662sch569797 or should I look for a complete rear master cylinder set off of a wreck?

I assume that it's a pressure-sensitive switch that needs replacing and nothing else?

Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers fellas
common sense just ain\'t so common these days
-------------------------------------------
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

JetdocX

Are you sure there is no air under the switch?
From parts unknown.

tokalosh

Could that be the problem?

There's no sponginess in the rear brake and I poured brake fluid through the system 5 or 6 times to flush it...  is there an easy way to check for air under the switch?

thanks
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

JetdocX

I'd try holding brake pressure  with yout foot and cracking the banjo fitting (or whatever the Girly configuration is) then tighten it back up and see what that gets you.
From parts unknown.

tokalosh

Tried loosening the switch nut and pressing the rear brake pedal until some brake fluid leaked out, but the problem remains the same....

Triumph of Tacoma has the switch in stock so I'll pick up a new one this weekend and let you know how it works out.

While I was down there, I had to tighten the footrest bolt, again...[/i]
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

tokalosh

Seems odd that the switch would be cutting out after only 10,000 km and about 4 years of riding, but that was the cause of the brake light not coming on when the rear brake pedal was pushed.

Just a simple case of swapping the new for the old and bleeding the rear brakes.

The guys down at Triumph of Tacoma are a decent bunch and the part was about the $ame as BikeBandit.  Worth paying them a visit.

BTW, anyone got any suggestions for solving the loose RHS foot-rest?  I keep using loctite and tightening those buggers but eventually they come loose.
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "tokalosh"BTW, anyone got any suggestions for solving the loose RHS foot-rest?  I keep using loctite and tightening those buggers but eventually they come loose.

Hey tokalosh !! as far as i can remember the bolts stick out quite a bit so you can put a locknut on it. i`d put some heavy duty washers on there first !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

Sorry, was so wrapped up in my own problems didn't notice this until now.  I had this problem about 6 months ago on a 2005 with 12k on the clock.  New switch and a bleed sorted it.  You have to wonder what was wrong with the old $2 switch and spring like you got in the old days though eh?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"
Quote from: "tokalosh"BTW, anyone got any suggestions for solving the loose RHS foot-rest?  I keep using loctite and tightening those buggers but eventually they come loose.

Hey tokalosh !! as far as i can remember the bolts stick out quite a bit so you can put a locknut on it. i`d put some heavy duty washers on there first !!

KK

Yep, a nut on the back of the bolt is the sollution. Mine's been good for more than 50K now.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.