News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Question..........again...sorry

Started by RT, August 05, 2009, 01:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

Quote from: "Stretch"With the Service Bulletin issued in 2003 (or maybe even 2002), they probably made the change in the production line in the '02 or '03 model year.

Mine's the last spoked wheel bike made and had the "round the houses" wiring.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stretch

Ah ha.  Any problems with it?

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Stretch"With the Service Bulletin issued in 2003 (or maybe even 2002), they probably made the change in the production line in the '02 or '03 model year.

Mine's the last spoked wheel bike made and had the "round the houses" wiring.

The bulletin I was looking at was dated Jan 2002
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Quote from: "Stretch"Ah ha.  Any problems with it?

None. But as I say, I have done the Sasquatch fix before any such problems arose......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stretch

The Sasquatch fix bypasses the wiring between the the R/R and the battery, while the Triumph Service Bulletin relates to the wiring between the Stator and R/R.  

Back in February, the connector between my Stator and R/R overheated and melted.  I was just curious if you had experienced similar trouble, with the extra couple feet of wire there.

But no trouble is no trouble.   :thumbsup

iansoady

That'll teach me to read the original post properly.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Tigger_rider

Hi All   I re-did the fix on my 06 recently using better wire. I found some very fine strand high temp 10 gauge wire in the parts room at the crane shop I work in. So far the mods are:
1 - Moved regulator to a position just above passenger peg using an       aluminum mount plate.
2 - Ran 2 new fine strand wires from reg to batt. Ground lead from reg to engine case
3 - Ran 3 new fine strand wires from stator to regulator. Spliced into stator wires as close to the case as possible.
So far the stock regulator runs cool to the touch at full load (hi beams and driving lights.) Voltage is 12.0 to 12.4
at idle with full load. Above 3000RPM, with any load I get 14.2 to 14.6 volts.

I think replacing the regular 10 gauge "auto parts store" wire with this fine strand stuff has made the greatest change in output.  

OLY

oxnsox

@Tigger
Just so you know... reg block will (generally) be coolest when you have the most electrical load, because the output is pretty much going all to run the bike.
The standard rec/reg gets hottest when you battery is nicely charged and you ain't using much of the energy that is being generated... at this point most of the energy is simply being shunted to ground thru the rec/reg... and thats why it gets hot.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stretch

^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

flux

Is there anything to look for as a symptom before your bike has any issues?  Anything to keep an eye on?  I have to admit this issue makes me nervous sometimes because I often find myself in desolate places and I don't know how to tell if my bike did have a stator/rectifier issue.  

I guess it's time to install a voltage meter.  Which one is recommended?  

Thanks gang.   8)

ackme

This is the Datel unit most folks seem to like:
http://www.digitalmeter.com/images/pc1-dcms-MC.pdf
You can get it with blue LED readout as well.  

Check this thread for mounting options:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=datel

ack
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

2005 955i Tiger, British Racing Green- plenty of umph

Stretch

I never leave town without a spare charging system (and the required tools) in my Jesses.

flux

Thanks for the tips, fellas.  

How about symptoms to watch for other than a volt meter?

oxnsox

The volt meter is going to be the best way to show you if you are having a problem...
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~